Author Topic: AO Maps  (Read 1538 times)

2020-07-30, 15:45:23

CullenJCreations

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Where do you place AO maps?

2020-07-30, 15:51:16
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Depends what you want to do with the AO Map. Overall AO for a scene, create a MultiPass TexMap element with the AO shader in it, and composite in post. AO as wear and tear on objects, use it to color, mask, etc any of the channel inputs as needed (Diffuse, Reflection, Glossiness, whatever should be varying for your wear and tear).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-07-30, 15:54:39
Reply #2

CullenJCreations

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank you, currently im working on my realism with my interior scenes. ill test this out thank you!

2020-07-30, 16:03:12
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
BTW, AO for overall shadowing in the scene should not be used for realism (AO for wear and tear is fine). AO was always a way of faking contact shadows etc. when full GI was not possible :) Now using it remains as an "artistic choice" but it is definitely less realistic than not using it.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-07-30, 16:31:36
Reply #4

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For me, the AO maps that come bundled with other texture map sets go in a layer shader where I multiply them with the diffuse map to a degree.
I sometimes also use them in Reflection for the color of the highlights to dim certain areas, or elsewhere, depending on my daily mood or the mood I want to achieve.
Some goes for Cavity maps or whatelse sometimes comes bundled with texture packs.

CU
Michael