Author Topic: Having a world of problems with FP and DR  (Read 1827 times)

2018-09-26, 03:19:59

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
Hi everyone,

I am posting here and not in the bug forum as I'm not 100% sure if this is really a corona issue or a FP issue or both.

But I am on a regular basis huge problems with render nodes at random seemingly just can't find FP assets, even FP sometimes can't find it's own assets after you load them locally and reload the file, they still render mostly because it then looks at the local path, but max when opening the file still gives you a missing textures error.

So usually when this happens I relink everything to a network drive that holds all the textures copied from FP, but more often than not the entire FP obj is just not rendering correctly and obviously it becomes a mess.

I just wanted to hear everyone here if you are dealing with the same problem and if so, how you solved it?

Thanks everyone!

2018-09-28, 11:21:27
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Because no one answered so far, I will add a few things, maybe it helps. This looks like mixed issues to me, best would be if you could attach a simplified scene which makes troubles using DR.

render nodes at random seemingly just can't find FP assets

ForestPro 5.x-part:

What assets are you refering to? Textures? Distribution bitmaps? Xref objects? What does the asset tracker tells you in a problematic scene? Are you aware of 'ATSOps.CheckNetworkPaths=true' which actually checks items with network paths in the asset tracker (not only telling you that it's on the network...)?

Using FPs own assets should always work if you have installed FP on all nodes because it adds its (local) paths to the external files list. Some assets (like distribution maps) have/use a path, others have none.

Additionally there are registry keys generated, pointing to distinct sources. Especially "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Itoo Software\Forest Pack Pro\TexturePaths.", see Installation and customisation for a complete guide.

Using own library items/presets is another story but the rules are the same as for any other (not FP-) assets in a scene (with the advantage that you can xref your objects).

ForestPro 6.x-part:

But the real trouble starts with installing, upgrading to FP 6.x. The standard installation is fundamentally wrong when it comes to paths/userprofiles/library location and networked/multiuser environment. I wrote that also to iToo support in June, extract:

Btw: deployment of FPP 6.x was just a nightmare. What a bad decision to install the libs in a user directory (!?). I had literally to change EVERYTHING from the defaults (moving libs to a suitable location - NOT some user profile, copy back old 5.x libraries to because older projects linked them, customizing all paths explicitly in the registry and so on).[...]

This one helped me doing so and now it's running without any issues:

https://forum.itoosoft.com/faq/installing-forestpack-6-assets-in-a-shared-network-path/

I'm frightened of touching the installer again, that's the reason I still not have upgraded to 6.1.2. :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.