Author Topic: Corona to Backburner  (Read 6068 times)

2018-05-28, 20:53:54

soronas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey, need to render a lot of different variations, want to render them over night on my pc. So how do I send to backburner? Cant get it to work. Or I have to have at least second pc, cant do that on the same machine?

Thanks

2018-05-29, 12:41:10
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You can use BB on just one machine. You should just use the "submit to network rendering" option, and as far as I know you need to have the manager, server, and monitor running on the same PC.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-05-29, 14:19:48
Reply #2

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
Exactly Maru, BB can be very useful even on only one machine.
Soronas, please check this link to get a correct initial BB setup: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-set-up-a-basic-render-farm-s.html

In a nutshell:
- you'll only have one BB Manager, no matter the number of machines involved in renderings
- you'll have as many BB Servers as machines (said in another way, one Server per machine)
- you can have as many Monitor app running as you want, but only one of them will actually get the queue control (you can check in the Monitor window header, it can display "Read Only" message, meaning that another Monitor app is running and has control)

To summarize, you'll then be able to submit all your variations to the BB Manager, that will act as a queue manager. When you leave your computer (to sleep, to eat or whatever ;) ), you'll then run BB Server application. It will then connect itself to the Manager, to get jobs to work on.

I hope this will help you. BB has its defaults, but it's simple and sooo useful !

Don't hesitate if you need some more explanations.

Enjoy !

Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2018-05-29, 14:20:03
Reply #3

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Or autodesk could fix scene states and batching FLYING PIG...

2018-05-29, 14:21:43
Reply #4

NicolasC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Or autodesk could fix scene states and batching
Hello,

Why not use BB ? much more flexible IMHO. With a tool like Batch Camera Render, it's really great.
Nicolas Caplat

2018-05-29, 14:25:39
Reply #5

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
<SNIP>

Hello,

Why not use BB ? much more flexible IMHO. With a tool like Batch Camera Render, it's really great.

Yeah backburner is a great way of doing things. Its just not particularly clean imho. Id rather keep all my variations of my scene in the same file as scene states if i could. Great for showing off different decorations of the same room in the viewport or in IR.

2018-05-29, 14:31:35
Reply #6

NicolasC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Id rather keep all my variations of my scene in the same file as scene states if i could.
Yup, same here. But we submit everything to BB in one go, with automatic output naming per Scene State, using Batch Camera Render (v1.10.2b currently I guess). The standard Batch Render tool that ships with 3dsmax is a nice crap.
Nicolas Caplat

2018-05-30, 16:40:23
Reply #7

soronas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the answers, figured it out :)

2018-06-02, 01:03:34
Reply #8

DPS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've recently started using this: http://www.grovergol.com/?page_id=338
Specs: AMD 1950X, Aorus Gaming 7 x399, 64GB RAM, 1080ti. Win10, Max 2017, Corona 1.7.3