Author Topic: Corona affected by unit setup?  (Read 3151 times)

2016-11-18, 11:58:58

SmurfN

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just wondering if there is a preferred way for the 3ds max scene units to be setup for Corona? Max is set to 1 unit = 10cm as standard, is this the preferred way to work? Is Corona affected by this in any way (i.e lighting correctly)? should it be set up one way or another?

2016-11-18, 12:10:32
Reply #1

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
There is no "preferred" way, as long as everything is real world size. If it is not real world, then things that have real world measurements in the formula like SSS, don't scale correctly.
Embree does not use double precision, to gain speed.
As such, at some point rays lose their accuracy and rounding errors start to creep in, resulting in light leaks or other pixel errors.

No matter what you do, you should always keep your Scene close to the origin.
If you have a room, use millimeter precision to work on even the smallest of sand grain - details.
But if you jump a kilometer away and still use millimeters, then your walls may start to leak light and other general weirdness.
In this case you should go to Centimeters, with the trade off being, that rendering sand grains becomes unreliable.

Unless you experience light leaks, just stick to what you are used to.

With infinitely small planes making up edges, they too become infinitely small. As such you may, under certain circumstances, experience light leaks, regardless of Unit size. As to properly display them, you would need infinitely precise rays.
Then you can refer to this help article.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-11-18, 13:02:06
Reply #2

SmurfN

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, i think i understand now. Just always thought of 1 unit = 1 cm to be the proper way to do it, but that causes artifacts in max when you get bigger scenes. But things will always stay correct relative to real life scale as long as you use normal values, as i understand. So when you select it to show a "real life" unit instead of generic unit it will still show proper scale even when you have 1 unit = 10cm, I.e 1cm IS 1cm, not 10 cm
« Last Edit: 2016-11-18, 13:19:30 by SmurfN »