Author Topic: Switch from 1.4 to 1.5 in ongoing project?  (Read 2480 times)

2016-10-04, 17:48:46

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So, I'm evaluating corona and I'm halfway through a project using 1.4, but I'd really want to try 1.5 before I make a decision and present it to the group. Would it be a bad idea switching mid-project? What could go wrong?

2016-10-04, 18:34:41
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I did it and I'm happy so far. One thing to keep in mind is that there's a new PBR mode for reflection/glossiness. While parameter values will be converted, glossiness maps need to be adjusted.
Other than that 1.5 seems to be faster and consumes less RAM. This is with Max 2016.

I'd just try on a scene and see if there are any big differences. If you're on 2017 there's still an issue with the UI I believe, look it up in either the Daily Builds thread or do a search for recent bug reports.

2016-10-04, 19:11:47
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I also did it and I am usually very reluctant to do so, I play everything super-safe. And this is big project, massive scene ( 50GB during render time ).

3dsMax 2016 here, none issue. Converted major materials to PBR by hand.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-10-04, 20:10:55
Reply #3

TheDavid

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would do it with consideration of your deadline. If you have time to test around than go for it. Gain from the update could be sweet but personally I would wait for the next project just to be super safe : ).

2016-10-05, 15:40:20
Reply #4

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the input! I'll give it a shot.