Author Topic: Corona Scatter & Corona Proxy tutorials?  (Read 12975 times)

2013-07-18, 15:24:33

Sovcat

Any of these exist? I'm trying to find a method that works better than Hair & Fur, and I have seen some amazing results with Corona scatter/proxy.

2013-07-18, 20:08:40
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't think there are many Corona tutorials. :)
What exactly are you trying to achieve and what results do you mean?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-07-21, 13:37:40
Reply #2

Sovcat

Trying to achieve realistic rugs, carpets etc without crashing max.
I have an i7 930 with 12GB of ram (64bit windows). But to set the strand count to a value to achieve what I am seeing in posted renders on this forum kills max...

2013-07-21, 15:01:53
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
How about using hair and fur?

2013-07-22, 01:23:41
Reply #4

Sovcat

I'm playing around with hair and fur. Is it normal to wait quite a bit longer for corona to parse the scene before it starts rendering? Also it takes a lot longer to process passes.
Have to hide the carpet while working on other parts of the scene in viewport because having it in geometry mode kills FPS....

I have GTX 670.

2013-07-22, 10:30:44
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Is it normal to wait quite a bit longer for corona to parse the scene before it starts rendering? Also it takes a lot longer to process passes.
Have to hide the carpet while working on other parts of the scene in viewport because having it in geometry mode kills FPS....

I have GTX 670.

It is normal to wait longer because of heavy geometry. You can try converting your whole hair and fur model to geometry and then saving it as corona proxy. I'm not sure if it would improve parsing and rendering speed but when using corona proxy you can set display mode to point cloud and this will speed up your viewport. You can also try disabling realistic mode in viewport if you are using it or even switching from nitrous to another driver.

2013-07-22, 22:03:23
Reply #6

Sovcat

Thanks for that reply Maru, that is exactly the help I'm looking for. I literally don't know how to convert my hair and fur geometry to corona proxy. I'm a bit of a novice in MAX and learning as I go along. What I know so far is through Youtube tutorials. I just need a basic step by step instruction as to do what you just suggested :)

2013-07-22, 22:13:31
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Ok, I'll try to explain without 3ds max running so there might be some inaccuracies. ;)

1. Create your hair geometry from hair and fur modifier.
2. Go to create -> Corona -> Corona proxy and create it anywhere in your scene
3. In Corona proxy object you have 2 options:
ave geometry from your scene as corona proxy
and
load existing file as corona proxy
So pick "from scene" (or something similar) and pick your hair geometry. Save it anywhere you want. This should automatically set your newly created file as corona proxy object and align it to your original hair geometry. You can now hide or delete your original hair geometry and use only corona proxy object.
4. In corona proxy object you have few display modes, "point cloud" is pretty good, in it you can define amount of displayed points so that you see your object but it doesn't use up much of your system resources.
5. Render and observe if it's any faster. :)

you also need to assign your original material to corona proxy

2013-07-23, 08:53:14
Reply #8

Sovcat

Maru, you're my hero! This works like a dream!
Much appreciated :D

2015-02-16, 04:27:50
Reply #9

siadebisi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, great tip ;) It´s working like a charm with 3.8 Million Primitives using Corona Scatter!!!! I can´t believe it ;)

But is there a way to use Corona Scatter with a Map for Distribution of the Proxys?

2015-02-16, 08:34:43
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It is implemented in newer versions, will be available in 1.0.