Author Topic: [Released] Material Changes  (Read 13449 times)

2017-06-02, 07:18:36

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Blender exporter for Corona
Released as 6.0.1 https://bitbucket.org/coronablender/render_corona/overview

In order to support linking of corona objects (with materials) and copy/paste of objects between .blend files I need to move the corona material nodes into the cycle node tree.  This is the same way that the renderman plugin for blender works currently.

I have 95% of the work complete for this including code to auto migrate the nodes.  However I only have about 10 .blend files to test this process with.

Would anyone be available to test this new feature out over the next week or so before I push it out as the default?

Also any feedback would be appreciated.

I haven't done anything to the layout to ensure the two layouts don't overlap.

Please make a copy of any .blend files before trying this out.

Install as usual, changes to .blend files won't be backwards compatible.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-08, 22:03:44 by blanchg »

2017-06-02, 07:22:16
Reply #1

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This DOESN'T mean the cycles/renderman nodes will work, in fact they will likely cause errors.

2017-06-02, 08:25:23
Reply #2

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Latest version in first post
« Last Edit: 2017-06-03, 15:01:14 by blanchg »

2017-06-02, 10:10:02
Reply #3

Asticles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, just testing it.

Is it necessary to select the output node?
Where are the chocofur presets?

Thanks

2017-06-02, 10:14:09
Reply #4

Asticles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also, when I add an image texture node, it seems that makes an entry on image editor for each material on the object (edit: maybe more).

This happens also on old version.

Can you check it?
« Last Edit: 2017-06-02, 10:23:20 by Asticles »

2017-06-02, 10:22:50
Reply #5

Asticles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cannot see textures on the viewport when unwrapping.

2017-06-02, 20:46:09
Reply #6

Rac Leborg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi blanchg

I have posted the link to the Renderman post as requested (sorry for the delay in getting back to you with it) and then saw this Materials Changes topic.

I downloaded your v.5.7.15 file and it appears to work well.

I'll test it out further over this weekend

Cheers

2017-06-02, 23:37:26
Reply #7

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback will look at it all

2017-06-03, 15:07:17
Reply #8

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Textures are enabled now in most cases. (this required a Cycles Texture node to be added automatically please ignore it if possible)
Image Editor textures now aren't repeated
Material Textures now aren't repeated either
Chocofur presets are back
Don't need to select the output node, uses blenders method of using the "active" output node

Seems a lot more stable now.  Massive change though so I need people to continue to test it before I make it the official version.  I will give it a week, so this coming Friday unless there are major issues it will be the official version.

2017-06-03, 18:13:10
Reply #9

Rac Leborg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It all still appears to be working ok. Cool!

Could someone possible make a few material setups (other than Chocofur's; which are very helpful!) so I can get a better idea of how things are meant to be linked together. Just looking at your(blanchg) combined/material.jpeg has me intrigued. I have looked at the documents on the corona nodes but knowing how  to combine them would be good. (newbie!).

Thanks

2017-06-05, 05:17:30
Reply #10

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
With the materials there are 3 stages.  I will work backwards:

You need an output node, this just lets the exporter know where to start building up the entire material (contains a purple input)

The next thing is a material node (these have purple outputs).  Think of these like an uber shader in Corona.  Everything can be done with just the Corona Material Node but there are some specialized ones that can only be used for emission and volume.  Then there are some special material nodes (have both purple inputs and outputs) that can combine other materials, these are the Rayswitch, Layered and Shadowcatcher.

The last stage is the maps.  It is things like the texture nodes, mix node etc.  The majority of these output color or transform colors.  They are usually yellow or green inputs/outputs and they can usually be interchanged.

From there it is all a matter of what you need to do.  The majority of times I think it will be just plugging image textures into a Corona Material node. and tweaking the settings to get it to look the way you want.

2017-06-06, 00:06:59
Reply #11

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Added 2 more nodes an RGB Curve node and a Hue/Saturation node.  These work the same/similar to the cycles nodes.

These behind the scenes add quite a few additional calculations (30 in the case of hue/saturation) so using these too much might slow down your renders.

Also the Hue/Saturation is approximated using pre-calculated matrix transforms on the color, so it is close to the cycles shader nodes but maybe not exactly, particular in colors on the edges of both color systems.

Next step is to create corresponding corona nodes from cycles nodes where possible.  Then it will be up to you to finish it off.  To start with, an output node, a material node, image textures.

2017-06-06, 10:57:43
Reply #12

Asticles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for all your work and efforts!

Textures are enabled now in most cases. (this required a Cycles Texture node to be added automatically please ignore it if possible)
Sorry, I don't understand.

Regards

2017-06-06, 21:39:12
Reply #13

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Asticles it was a fix for your comment "Cannot see textures on the viewport when unwrapping" This works now for the scenes I have.

2017-06-07, 09:58:22
Reply #14

Asticles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Asticles it was a fix for your comment "Cannot see textures on the viewport when unwrapping" This works now for the scenes I have.

Ok, thanks! I've seen wot it works, the texture link to the viewport is updated when the link from image texture node to corona material node is done. Is it correct?

Is it possible to be rechecked when another image file is selected? (from image texture node).

Thanks!