Author Topic: Animation Denoise, behind glass  (Read 2743 times)

2016-03-08, 18:38:07

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
Trying to anticipate problems that would happen with 7-10 min./ frame renders times @1080. A quick animation study looks good with Denoise, except one condition. I can't find a workaround for these glass showcases. After rendering a few seconds test, there is a lot of blotchy movement with the glass display only.

Noise limit 20
Denoise  1r
Denoise amount .75

What I have tried:
- thin glass
- no lights inside case
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2016-03-09, 15:37:45
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, I think this is caused by your settings. You cannot trick noise. ;) Noise limit @ 20 is very high. I would say that something around 5 is the absolute maximum for most cases. Also, if you are using blending at 0,75 then always there will be some noise visible. If you want to keep your settings for some reason, what you could try is increasing GIvsAA value to 32-64. This should reduce noise on glass/glossy surfaces at the cost of number of passes in the given time.
I am attaching some tests that prove (hopefully) that reducing noise limit and increasing denoise blending should help you.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-03-09, 16:11:33
Reply #2

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
noise limit of 20 is excessive, but look @ the time difference. Your samples demonstrate, that glass is not an issue.
Your examples were spot on, appreciate the response. Hope this helps others, too.

Typically, I don't use render farms, just a single workstation. In our retail design presentations, clients request stills. Occasionally, we are ask to produce an animation. An hour for a still, no problem. Any frames taking more than 10 min., extends the deadline out too far.

ps. I'm warming them up to the idea of using render farms.
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2016-03-09, 16:49:24
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Well, my scene was very simple, so it might get a bit slower/more noisy if the setup is more complicated. But all in all I think you simply need to cook your image for a little longer.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us