Author Topic: AMD 3970x Cooler Help  (Read 2849 times)

2021-12-06, 02:22:14

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys

I had my system built with the following relevant specs for the sake of this post.
CPU - AMD 3970x
Cooler - Noctua NHU14
MOBO - ASROCK Creator TRX40
Case - Cooler master CM694 (https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mid-tower/masterbox-cm694/)
128 Gig RAM

Now i wanted to upgrade my RAM so i bought another 128 gig.  The problem was when it arrived, i didn't realise but the NOCTUA fan was blocking 2 of the other 128GIG slots.
see photo here.

SO - i called the PC place where i bought it, and they sold me this:
https://cplonline.com.au/inwin-aio-sr36-360mm-all-in-one-liquid-cpu-cooler.html

The problem then just started.

The noise of this was like a plane, so i adjusted the fan curve and it works better, but still a lot of noise for when i render.  Its ridiculously loud.  Like i can  hear it from the other side of my house.
Here is a photo of this set up.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how i can minimize the sound?  ie do i get new fans to replace these fans?  i hear these fans may work?
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/noctua-nfa12x25-flx-120mm-3pin-fan-ac17689?gclid=Cj0KCQiA47GNBhDrARIsAKfZ2rBIR78ibeojwXZb-grHY-Le7xmCD5az0oMNq61Y_0-rrNIAozrIPM8aAilgEALw_wcB

Or i am happy to replace this cooler - not sure what the best option is?  the price of these fans are just about the same as a new cooler - but i dont want to risk it in case its no quieter.

any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

2021-12-06, 11:57:49
Reply #1

Majeranek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wouldn't it be easier to just move NOCTUA fan a little bit higher so there's room for the RAM? I have the NH-U14s on my TR and there's plenty of room for that. I just have it mounted a little bit higher on the radiator.
marjoramstudio.com Website
be.net/filipmalecki Behance Portfolio
Instagram Instagram Profile

2021-12-06, 12:02:53
Reply #2

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
what do you mean by higher?
The tech guy at the pc store couldnt do it either - the mobo i have is the asrock trx40 creator - you might thave a different mobo setup?

2021-12-06, 12:06:56
Reply #3

Majeranek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not the whole cooler, just a fan. Something like that (attachment).

2021-12-06, 12:22:33
Reply #4

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In that case, make sure that the pc case has enough width. Mine has only some millimeters distance from the side glass (which I have removed for airflow), so I am sacrificing that RAM Slot. The case is a NZXT H510i.

2021-12-06, 23:05:44
Reply #5

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks - but i dont think that will still work - i can  have a look at it later and see if it could - but from memory there was a lack of room.

How do you move it like that anyway?

Not the whole cooler, just a fan. Something like that (attachment).

2021-12-06, 23:29:24
Reply #6

Majeranek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You just unpin it with those two wires on the sides, move fan a little bit higher and then pin it again.
You can also try to mount the memory when you have fan removed and then place it on the right height.

2021-12-07, 00:38:57
Reply #7

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks - do you have the same mobo?  I will have a look at this later.... hoping this works because the noctua is amazingly quiet.

Also, what temps do you get?  under load i get around 77-87 - see my curve setup below - what do you recommend?  is this set up ok?

You just unpin it with those two wires on the sides, move fan a little bit higher and then pin it again.
You can also try to mount the memory when you have fan removed and then place it on the right height.
« Last Edit: 2021-12-07, 04:09:54 by shortcirkuit »

2021-12-07, 08:47:27
Reply #8

Majeranek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have different mobo but the layout of CPU Socket and RAM Slots is basicaly the same.

Regarding the temps I don't know if it's good or bad because I've got 3990x. However I would recommend to change the curve, make it 100% rpm running quicker, around 70 degrees.