Author Topic: Point Cloud Approximate GI occlusion color bleeding  (Read 4838 times)

2013-03-28, 08:29:20

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
would it make sense, or is it even possible to implement such stuff to corona as an alternative to pathtracing??
It's been in PRman and 3Delight for awhile now and the results are fast and clean altough not unbiased..

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/pixar_points

2013-03-28, 09:08:32
Reply #1

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
Not a bad idea, well, I think it's after to finish the development.
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2013-03-28, 09:24:26
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I don't think it would merge well with raytracing based renderer. I might be wrong, though ;)

2013-03-28, 10:14:43
Reply #3

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't really know that too, and I'm not sure how does that really differ from IRmapping or Keymasters implementation of Irradiance caching that was in corona before... Or maybe some HDcache mutants :D lol one for primary GI maybe to do some more detailed high frequency details/lighting other to do a base rough computation if that's possible..

Now you guys might not like this :D but something like mental ray is doing when used GI+FG or IP+importance driven FG yields really nice convincing lighting extremely fast. The only problem that I think could appear when something like this was present in corona, would be how to minimize the amount of controls for this to be able to get good results..

2013-03-28, 10:39:10
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I have never ever seen IP+Importance driven FG to show any good results. Could you post any example?

2013-03-28, 11:28:27
Reply #5

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No I can't  :) And I really don't want to get on a mr discussion with you, especially with you :D lol... So please let me apologize and I'm taking back that statement about convincing mental ray results of IP+FG...

The point however remains... Despite the mental ray's approach on the topic, the idea itself might not be wrong.. Or is it?

2013-05-30, 21:43:15
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
will not be implemented in forseeable future
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)