Author Topic: Normal Map + Triplanar Bug?  (Read 1956 times)

2021-07-13, 11:54:25

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hi all,

I am seeing some weird results while combining a normal map made with Adobe Substance Alchemist and the Triplanar utility.
As you can see from the image, on the left I use no triplanar, only the normal map and the result is clean and correct. On the right, once I apply a Triplanar at 0.30m I get some pixelated blocks.

I am providing the scene and assets here.

Thanks,

Dionysios -

2021-07-13, 12:18:55
Reply #1

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Excuse me, just an update:

I got also the artifacts when I used no Triplanar but I applied on the teapot a UVW Box type map @ 0,30m.
So I found out the problem is not the Triplanar but the CoronaUvwRandomizer which sits under!

Turning of the Randomizer the problem disappears.

Dionysios -

2021-07-13, 15:22:21
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think it was just a matter of using right scale values in the triplanar/uvw randomizer and using "randomize each tile" option with number of tiles set to 1. I guess when using this option, it makes most sense to set it to more than 1 tile.
I am attaching a "fixed" version of the scene which appears to be rendering as expected.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-07-13, 15:48:02
Reply #3

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
I think it was just a matter of using right scale values in the triplanar/uvw randomizer and using "randomize each tile" option with number of tiles set to 1. I guess when using this option, it makes most sense to set it to more than 1 tile.
I am attaching a "fixed" version of the scene which appears to be rendering as expected.

Hi maru,

I got it!
But this is what I thought: 30 cm in Triplanar and Randomizer tile at 1 = 1 tile every 30cm in this case, am I wrong?

Thanks as always,

Dionysios -

2021-07-14, 00:21:03
Reply #4

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging

Excuse me Maru but I don't understand...

The maps were created in Alchemist and are base on a Substance Source file which reccomends a physical scale of 25cm (I used in Triplanar 30cm).   I attached an image
In your example scene you used a Triplanar of 100m and a Randomizer Tile of 2, I dont get it... I am sorry.

Dionysios -