Author Topic: "Reverse" reflection and glossiness values in materials  (Read 2599 times)

2016-11-13, 14:57:47

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Considering new PBR workflow "reverse" reflection and glossiness values in materials, reflection to 1 and glossiness to 0.

2016-11-13, 16:11:54
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
While i could agree about reflection, but setting glossiness to zero, makes... zero sense to me. I make vastly more materials with glossiness 1 than with glosiness 0. In fact i can't remember if i ever created material with zero glossiness.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-11-13, 16:22:30
Reply #2

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So, all that is needed is to split the difference.. Set it to 0.5 :)

2016-11-13, 16:36:16
Reply #3

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
While i could agree about reflection, but setting glossiness to zero, makes... zero sense to me. I make vastly more materials with glossiness 1 than with glosiness 0. In fact i can't remember if i ever created material with zero glossiness.

But with the new PBR materials you get perfectly shiny polished material with glossiness set to 1, other then a mirror I don't think I ever created such a material.
I was just about to suggest the same thing as Fluss did, maybe not zero but 0.5, nice and reflective but not super polished.

2016-11-13, 17:16:59
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Old or new PBR it doesn't matter, but for glass, liquids, coatings i always use glossiness 1, and in ~80% other cases, my glossiness is mapped, so no, i wouldn't want 0, 0.5 or 0.25. Value of one is perfect for me ;]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-11-13, 22:04:27
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
as ludvik explained elsewhere (albeit quite harshly), this setup would result in huge slowdown when rendering materials that do not need glossiness. We will wait with bigger conceptual changes for corona PBR shader.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)