Author Topic: Help in better understanding Corona Materials - Reflections map and Fallof...  (Read 8628 times)

2015-04-28, 19:04:46

gabyanz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, I'm triyng to understand the correct behaviour of Corona Materials and I need some clarifications about the reflect/glossiness map.
I come from a vray "way of thinking"

In the helpdesk I read as "commons users errors" :
Using texture maps in Fresnel IOR instead of Reflection Color slot
To vary the reflectivity of a material, you should place a texture map in its Reflection > Color slot. If you are using IOR textures, they need to directly output IOR values (1-999), not black-white (0-1). This can be achieved for example with output node or CoronaColor map.

Placing falloff map in material's Reflection Color slot instead of using Fresnel IOR
While using the falloff map may be a correct way of creating customized reflectivity curves, for simple materials it is recommended to use the Reflection > Fresnel IOR value as Corona internally uses more advanced Fresnel model which is required for its advanced shading models.

In vray I was used to put a B/W map in the reflect glossiness, and another map in the reflect color slot.

Sometimes I was using a fallof map in the reflect color slot... why it's not "reccomended" ?

If I wanted to use a custom fallof curve ( with custom IOR) , what slot should I use? In this case I should put ior to 999 to disable it, right?

If I want to use the Viscorbel method , with a fallof map to simulate the glossiness that goes from sharp to blurry... (here is the link http://viscorbel.com/vray-materials-part-2-reflection/) .. I should put the map into an output map?
If I understand well, the glossiness and the IOR work better with a full color map and not only B/W ?

forgive me probably it's a dumb question, but reading the helpdesk has confused me a bit, but perhaps I've understand why sometimes I was having too much noise in the render...

thanks in advance
Gaby

2015-04-29, 12:03:52
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
In vray I was used to put a B/W map in the reflect glossiness, and another map in the reflect color slot.
Yup. No problem with that - it will work the same as in Vray.

Sometimes I was using a fallof map in the reflect color slot... why it's not "reccomended" ?
As in helpdesk - if you want a custom color/shape of reflectivity - go ahead and put falloff or any other map in reflectivity slot and set fresnel IOR to 999 in Corona mtl (otherwise it will be taken into account anyway). The thing is - you can usually achieve very similar result using fresnel IOR directly in Corona mtl. You can even use fresnel ior mode inside falloff map - but it doesn't make sense. :)

If I wanted to use a custom fallof curve ( with custom IOR) , what slot should I use? In this case I should put ior to 999 to disable it, right?
As above - why use falloff map with IOR let's say 1,5 rather than set fresnel IOR to 1,5 in Corona mtl? (of course unless you want to customize the curve - make it wavy or something)
Yes, 999 "disables" fresnel ior.

If I want to use the Viscorbel method , with a fallof map to simulate the glossiness that goes from sharp to blurry... (here is the link http://viscorbel.com/vray-materials-part-2-reflection/) .. I should put the map into an output map?
No - just put falloff map into glossiness.
I think this is something that happens automatically in Corona as it uses GGX model. The reflections should be sharper on the edges if you are using glossiness. But again, you may want to customize this. No problem with that.
The whole "output/color map" thing refers to putting maps into fresnel ior slot. It's hard for me to imagine a situation when one would want to do this - but if so - then this is the correct way.

If I understand well, the glossiness and the IOR work better with a full color map and not only B/W ?
No. Color map will be interpreted as a black and white map.

forgive me probably it's a dumb question, but reading the helpdesk has confused me a bit, but perhaps I've understand why sometimes I was having too much noise in the render...
No problem, I understand that some articles may be confusing. We are still polishing this stuff and every opinion counts. I will also ask Ondra if I didn't write anything confusing here. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-04-29, 13:19:27
Reply #2

gabyanz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you so much for your reply, Maru :)

Probably I was confused about it using the Vray-converter, that put always the old vray glossiness map into the Corona color slot into an output map.
 Why does the vray converter act like this? It's a question of levels?

Second question...
I'm working with a scene with lots of reflection and a gold/platinum material with 0.4 gloss. The reflections are still noisy after about 100 passess... but the rest of the scene is noise free... Only the reflection pass is noisy, cause the material has a black diffuse slot.
What Should I have to increase to get rid of the noise? (I'm using progressive + UHD, LSM 4 - Gi vs AA 16)  I've read that's more a question of AA, but I don't know well hot to increase it...

thanks again
Gabry

2015-04-29, 14:32:17
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Probably I was confused about it using the Vray-converter, that put always the old vray glossiness map into the Corona color slot into an output map.
Why does the vray converter act like this? It's a question of levels?
This happens because the script tries to match the materials visually. If you wouldn't use the output map, the material would probably look slightly different.

Second question...
I'm working with a scene with lots of reflection and a gold/platinum material with 0.4 gloss. The reflections are still noisy after about 100 passess... but the rest of the scene is noise free... Only the reflection pass is noisy, cause the material has a black diffuse slot.
What Should I have to increase to get rid of the noise? (I'm using progressive + UHD, LSM 4 - Gi vs AA 16)  I've read that's more a question of AA, but I don't know well hot to increase it...
Can you show renders and material setup? Are you using rounded corners feature there?

2015-04-29, 15:47:23
Reply #4

gabyanz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
this is after 32 passes -- lot of noise in the metal , the walls are almost clean instead...
The noise won't clean perfectly neither after 200 passes...

there is a light right under the brass shelf--- perhaps there is a caustic problem?

No round corner option...

2015-05-07, 11:54:32
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, sorry for the delay. Is there any progress with your noise issue? Is there a chance you could upload the problematic scene?