Author Topic: Displacement and normal map problem  (Read 3186 times)

2017-07-31, 19:10:31

Alex.A

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm experiencing some problems with normal maps and displacement where the edges appear jagged. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

2017-07-31, 20:09:32
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Unplug CoronaNormal map from displacement slot and plug it one position higher - into bump slot. That should remove jagginess ;]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-07-31, 20:24:49
Reply #2

Alex.A

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried, but the effect is far from it needs to be.

I've used displacement without issues before.

2017-07-31, 21:48:37
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Then you have to make your displacement map properly. Map that you are using won't work as displacement. If you want to know why, just open it in photoshop and convert it to greyscale. It should be very obvious then why it can't work as displacement.

BTW, those jaggies are from jpeg compression - displacement is much more sensitive to it than normal maps.

2017-07-31, 22:22:21
Reply #4

Alex.A

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I really can't understand what is wrong with the normal map I've made. Here's the original png I'm using.

2017-08-01, 00:02:26
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
There's nothing wrong with your normal map really, it's just that you're using it wrong. Normal maps goes into CoronaNormal texmap and then into bump slot, displacement maps goes well... into displacement slot. Not the other way round. If you struggle to understand how normal map differs from displacement, you can go here: https://www.textures.com/download/3dscans0004/125602 download both displacement and normal maps, load them in photoshop, convert normal map to greyscale and pay close atention on how they do differ from each other.

2017-08-01, 00:25:50
Reply #6

Alex.A

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks romullus. I think I understand what is going on here now. I've thought I was using displacement on the jar scene as well but I was wrong. That's what was keeping me confused.