Author Topic: Football Goal Net  (Read 1552 times)

2023-06-30, 09:31:00

patr11k

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I am trying to create a Football Goal.. and i am struggling with the net!
I just can't manage to make a nice net that also looks a little wrinkled.
I hope you can help me!

2023-06-30, 10:48:49
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It would be helpful to know in which program you are trying to make the net model, otherwise it's quite hard to give you specific advice. Having said that, you could make small repeating fragment of net mesh and then create whole thing with Corona pattern.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-06-30, 17:37:14
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yes, this kind of effect can be achieved using Corona Pattern.
Max - https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+Pattern+Modifier
C4D - https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRC4D/Corona+Pattern
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-07-01, 15:58:55
Reply #3

patr11k

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be helpful to know in which program you are trying to make the net model, otherwise it's quite hard to give you specific advice. Having said that, you could make small repeating fragment of net mesh and then create whole thing with Corona pattern.

Oh sorry, i forgot! 3ds Max :)

2023-07-02, 12:37:09
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Here's a quick and dirty method to make goal post netting in about 15 minutes. If you'll spend more time on finessing the details, you can get even better result.

Step 1 - create a box primitive, make sure it has more or less correct dimensions compared to real world goal netting. This will be important later, when we'll do cloth simulation.

Step 2 - using edit poly modelling edit box shape to roughly match goal netting. You can use retopology modifier to get nice and even topology flow. Try to maintain polygons size equal to each other and their shape as close to square as possible. Don't make the model too low-poly, but also don't add to much polygons, as this will make your simulation unnecessary slow.

Step 3 - add unwrap UVW modifier and make good and clean UVs. Try to eliminate as much UV stretching as possible. This step is very important, so spend more time on it.

Step 4 - add cloth modifier

Step 5 - activate cloth sub-object level, select all the vertices that will be attached to the goal posts, press make group and then drag buttons. This will create new group from selected vertices and assign drag property to the group.

Step 6 - close sub-object level and press object properties button. In the properties window select goal net object from the list, make it cloth and adjust cloth properties. You can use my screenshot as a guide, but keep in mind that most important settings here are U and V scale. Experiment with these two settings until you get satisfactory results. Other settings makes little difference to this sim, but you can use them to further tweak cloth shape.

Step 7 - close object properties window and press simulate local. Observe cloth simulation. If you don't like netting shape, go back to cloth properties, change some parameters and press simulate local again. Repeat until you get acceptable result.

Step 8 - make tiling mesh pattern. You can use 3ds Max splines, or editable poly, whatever is more preferable to you.

Step 9 - select netting object and add Corona pattern modifier to it. Chose mesh object created in previous step as pattern node.

Step 10 - enter sub-object level and carefully adjust crop box, so the mesh would tile seamlessly.

Step 11 - adjust U and V tiling in pattern modifier to get mesh size that you want. Use interactive rendering while doing so, since Corona pattern is render-time modifier and its effect will not be visible in viewport.

That's it, you should have nice goal post netting model now. Enjoy! :]

2023-07-03, 09:54:26
Reply #5

patr11k

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow thank you very much! Really awesome!

2023-07-03, 09:59:41
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You're welcome!

2023-07-03, 12:17:17
Reply #7

patr11k

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My unwrap UVW looks like this, when i open the Editor.. is there something wrong?

2023-07-03, 12:27:46
Reply #8

patr11k

• Active Users
    • View Profile
When i press "Simulate Local" it looks like this

Edit: Forgot "gravity"

But still looks very different from yours
« Last Edit: 2023-07-03, 13:43:28 by patr11k »

2023-07-03, 14:11:57
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
My unwrap UVW looks like this, when i open the Editor.. is there something wrong?

Adding UVW modifier to the object will not make its UVs automatically, you need to edit them by hand.

When i press "Simulate Local" it looks like this

Edit: Forgot "gravity"

But still looks very different from yours

Did you adjust U and V scale in cloth properties? As i wrote in my previous message, this is the most important settings for this sim. As for the gravity, you can safely disable it, since it makes almost no visible effect on the final result.

2023-07-06, 17:14:26
Reply #10

patr11k

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you recommend a good tutorial for UVW Unwrapping?

2023-07-19, 01:11:22
Reply #11

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In this situation it's really easy. just select all the faces in uv unwrap. click on flatten by smoothing group you will see that all the sides of your model are seperated. next switch to edge mode double click on one of the bordering edges of the rear side of the net. once selected click on stitch:custom. you will see in your UVs that one of the sides is now stitched to the larger piece. Then just repeat until its ones piece
« Last Edit: 2023-07-19, 01:42:25 by mferster »