General Category > Hardware

Hard Drives and Access of Speed to Models & Maps?

<< < (2/2)

danio1011:

--- Quote from: Juraj on 2022-08-12, 12:28:22 ---But I have found that local drives load much faster than any network connected ones and this is probably due to the some network protocol limitations (on side of Windows? on side of 3dsMax? don't know).

--- End quote ---

Local is always faster for me too, and eliminates issues.  But now with an employee and more demands, I have to be network based.

I've often run into issues with 3ds max when saving large files over the network.  Makes me wonder about that as a significant bottleneck and limitation\liability of the software.  In the help files their official answer is 'Max is a single instance, non-network program...don't use it over a network' basically.  Kind of an interesting (lame) approach :)

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-3ds-Max-Error-writing-to-file-when-saving-over-a-network.html

Solution:
3ds Max is not a server application. It was designed to work locally. While it may work to a certain degree over networks and servers, it was not designed to work that way, so support is not guaranteed to help resolve all issues regarding network issues.

shortcirkuit:
Hey Juraj - just wondering why you wouldnt use something like dropbox?  Since ive been using a pro account with heaps of storage space, ive never had to back up again and it synchronizes across your devices as you wish.

Jens:

--- Quote from: shortcirkuit on 2022-08-13, 05:19:35 ---thanks for the tip - i already had it on ultimate performance

--- End quote ---

Just noticed I now have the option of "Ryzen High Performance" option. Have you tested this vs Ultimate Performance?

shortcirkuit:
where did you see this?  im on windows 10 so not sure how that would apprear?

romullus:
I've read that with Zen 3 processors, Ryzen high performance plan is obsolete and therefore it is hidden from view. If you have Ryzen 5xxxX CPU, then it is recommended to use balanced power plan. I tried it in Corona benchmark and it looks that high performance plan does not give any benefit and in fact it was even slightly slower than balanced.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version