Author Topic: "adding" more sky to a composition without changing camera / render twice?  (Read 7909 times)

2017-08-04, 16:11:40

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
Hi guys

I'm looking for a solution to 3ds max that works like when you want to resize the Canvas Size in photoshop. Basically adding X amount of pixels to only the top of my image.

If I change the height in render output I will also get "extra" ground that I have to render.

There's this script: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/overscan but it requires you to render twice and comp in PS.

Can it be done without comping, region renders and all sorts of other workarounds? :)
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2017-08-05, 10:36:44
Reply #1

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I made a script that did that a long time ago, but that was some max versions ago and I don't know if it still works. I can check when I'm back at work in a week. My clients are always changing their minds, so nowadays I just render the images a bit too big and crop in PS, makes it a lot easier when they ask if you could maybe see more of the building to the right...

2017-08-05, 14:28:06
Reply #2

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
I'd love to see that script. Thanks for chiming in.

Just rendering bigger and cropping from now on seems like a solid idea though ;)

2017-08-12, 21:23:58
Reply #3

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

Just found this script on Scriptspot.com, and remembered your need. Didn't try it, but maybe it will help you

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/camera-resolution-mod

2017-08-13, 21:35:33
Reply #4

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
Thank you Bormax, it's not quite what I was looking for, but definitely useful for my workflow as well! Maybe we could suggest this script function was incorporated with the new corona camera. Kind of like you can force dof off on a pr camera basis.

2017-08-13, 22:21:11
Reply #5

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Jens. The problem with the thing you want, is that it's against the "nature" of a camera. Unlike in a handcrafted perspective the "eyepoint" of a camera will always be in the middle of the picture. Therefore you'll always get more ground when adding more sky (by changing the height of the picture).

I don't think you'll find any other way than "render region" to achieve what you want, but I might be wrong :)

2017-08-14, 19:07:52
Reply #6

fraine7

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Jens,

The script you are looking for is called 'Overscan'

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/overscan

*Sorry - I'm an idiot, I just noticed you've already tried this*

I really should learn to read all of a thread before replying ;)

2017-08-15, 22:36:41
Reply #7

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
hehe no worries fraine, still appreciated ;)

2017-09-01, 19:57:10
Reply #8

hkezer

• Active Users
  • kezerco
    • View Profile
Hey mate did you find any solution? Sometime ago i wanted to render a little wide, but as your problem, its really hard to do.
http://kezer.co

co-founder @ ivaBOX

2017-09-02, 09:19:07
Reply #9

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
Hey mate did you find any solution? Sometime ago i wanted to render a little wide, but as your problem, its really hard to do.

Sorry no, still haven't found a good solution to this.

2017-09-02, 12:41:11
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I perhaps absolutely don't understand the question properly...but isn't 'Camera shift (vertical)' doing exactly that ?

You change resolution composition to more vertical (just like PS canvas) and then shift the camera up to remove the unnecessary bottom part. Nothing regarding the perspective changes, the net end result is simply added upper part on top of original composition.
The only difference to PS Canvas is the slight order of things, as Canvas lets you shift directly at resize, but 3dMas imitates tilt-shift lens process, results are absolutely identical though.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-09-02, 19:31:37
Reply #11

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
I perhaps absolutely don't understand the question properly...but isn't 'Camera shift (vertical)' doing exactly that ?

You change resolution composition to more vertical (just like PS canvas) and then shift the camera up to remove the unnecessary bottom part. Nothing regarding the perspective changes, the net end result is simply added upper part on top of original composition.
The only difference to PS Canvas is the slight order of things, as Canvas lets you shift directly at resize, but 3dMas imitates tilt-shift lens process, results are absolutely identical though.

hmm, I feel slightly silly now. That does indeed seem to do the job. Thanks Juraj, hadn't thought of utilizing the lenshift and output size like that. Apparently I'm not the only one :)

Love these "aha" moments. Cheers man!

2017-09-03, 10:15:01
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Uf, I am glad :- ). I wasn't sure if I wasn't misreading some more complex issue.

I think it comes down to knowledge of photography within 3D world, lot of people aren't aware that for example 50mm focal length exists within smaller one like 35mm, if you crop that image, and end result would be identical perspective ( this would be solution to Iker's issue for wanting something bit wider, he would change focal length, and then crop the ratio to more horizontal). I am pretty sure overscan plugin which I never used does exactly that just calculates it so you don't have to do the cropping by eye. Shift on top just allows non-symmetrical crop additionally.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2017-09-03, 11:02:27
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think it comes down to knowledge of photography within 3D world, lot of people aren't aware that for example 50mm focal length exists within smaller one like 35mm, if you crop that image, and end result would be identical perspective

There's many "professional" photographers who believes that focal length affects perspective, it's no wonder that such misconceptions are spread even further amongst 3D artists. Not to mention those, for whom terms like focal length sounds like mumbo jumbo :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-09-03, 11:48:12
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Heh very true... I still remember "Medium format shows the space differently, you can better fit architecture within it" ( I mean sure, the depth of field is different, but perspective is just perspective ! ),