Author Topic: "adding" more sky to a composition without changing camera / render twice?  (Read 7907 times)

2017-09-03, 12:32:15
Reply #15

BardhylM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
If you are talking about digital cameras that we have in Max, then yes focal length can lose it's purpose with perspective corrections.
But in real life it is different perspective for different focal lengths. The vanishing points change place and that is a distortion i think.
So don't patronize those "professional photographers" that might know something.

2017-09-03, 14:14:48
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm not trying to patronise anybody. I just know that changing focal length alone, won't give you different perspective, unless you'll change your distance to the subject too, to keep framing more or less the same. If you think otherwise, then please do experiment - stand in one fixed position, take camera with zoom lens and take two pictures at different focal lengths. If you'll see any change in perspective, please report it back, as i will be very curious to hear that.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-09-03, 15:46:46
Reply #17

BardhylM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
You're very right about distance coming in play. The only changes are the micro lens distortions in real cameras that in overall doesn't change much.
But we are dealing with digital cameras and that's not a problem. So you have a point :)

2017-09-03, 16:34:05
Reply #18

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
If you are talking about digital cameras that we have in Max, then yes focal length can lose it's purpose with perspective corrections.

I don't understand this sentence.. what perspective corrections ? Tilt/Shift is the only correction available to 3dsMax physical camera, and it behaves exactly the same way as Tilt/Shift lens in reality, with exception of having no limit. Lens distortions on other hand aren't connected to perspective and are also simulated in same way.
(I didn't count vertical correction, as it's not simulation of optical effect and correctly shift should be used instead)

There is no difference to how the camera works in 3dsMax and real-life in any facet, except for having complete control over every aspect that would otherwise be physically limited by camera and lens construction. (and the option to bypass these limits and disconnect depth of field and motion blur from exposure constraints)

But in real life it is different perspective for different focal lengths.

Definitely not, but I won't go further into off-topic, Romullus explained it very well. Nothing to do with vanishing point. This is common incorrect argument people make on photography forums like DPReview. I've read few of such threads, never goes well :- ).

« Last Edit: 2017-09-03, 16:56:18 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!