Author Topic: Anyone not using Nitrous on modern hardware? max16-18  (Read 3054 times)

2017-06-30, 03:10:40

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
Hi everyone,

I am curious if any of you are not using the default nitrous (dx11) viewport engine that is standard in 3dsmax these days?

If you are running 5 year old hardware I can understand why maybe, but im I am curious if any of you delibriately choose a different option and if so, why?  Nitrous has been running OK for me lately, but often it's also just super painful and takes me back to the max2013 days where it was flat out terrible.

direct3d or opengl anyone?

2017-06-30, 08:31:00
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
The only reason for me to use the OpenGL driver is for camera tracking because Pan&Zoom does not handle tracking points while the "Virtual Viewport" (only accessible with OpenGL, quite a forgotten feature) does this correctly.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-07-04, 12:26:42
Reply #2

Bzuco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • personal web page
thanks for creating this topic.
I was from the beginning on direct3D 9, because I dont need nitrous features. But I was curious about speed (my last knowledge until now was, that D3D is faster than nitro. ...big mistake :D ).
Nitrous (with all features off) gives me more fps and what is important for me, there are no lags when I set forced low power state on my GPU. D3D caused lags in low power gpu state when I was rotating viewport around some object.

2017-07-06, 02:14:48
Reply #3

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
what are the benefits of low power state on your GPU?

2017-07-06, 10:58:12
Reply #4

Bzuco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • personal web page
It's just power consumption.
For me higher performance states on GPU brings me no benefits...so why use them  :) I don't need more than 60fps in viewport, even 30 is enough for work.
I'm using nvidia inspector utility where I can disable higher performance states.

Here is bigger scene on my PC. GPU is in lower performance state(405MHz), GPU usage is only 32% .  GPU consumption is 12% of TDP which is around 6W. I have only 11fps, because CPU is the bottleneck(max single thread viewport).

Same scene, GPU in high performance state (1100MHz), GPU usage only 7%, but GPU consumption is 27% of TDP which is around 24W. Same fps, because CPU still bottleneck.

Difference in PC case consumption with my GTX950 is ~20W (66W/85W) which is not much, but try to imagine that I would have  bigger GPU beast, then the difference would be bigger. Or another example...with lower performance state you can work longer on notebook when using just battery...also lower heat and noise.

2017-07-06, 18:38:45
Reply #5

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah interesting! Good to know thx