Author Topic: Parallax Mapping ? :)  (Read 8714 times)

2013-05-31, 21:58:28

kumodot

• Active Users
  • Corona ADDICTED and Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot
   This is not so requested. I don´t even now if it´s usefull on a daily Basis, i am posting this more like to share the nice effect ILM archieved using a Parallax shader to simulate intrincated in-depth cracks on ICE piece.
     Very curious and nice use of Parallax Mapping... 

http://area.autodesk.com/inhouse/custstories/coca_cola_polar_bears_an_inside_look

There´s any comecial render supporting it ?
Your Portuguese is worse than my english.
--------------------------------------------
3DGeneralist/Vfx Supervisor

2013-05-31, 22:05:23
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I remember some parallax plugin that worked with scanline. ;)
I think it would be hard to calculate accurate GI with parallax mapping. But I'm just a little worm, maybe I'm wrong.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-05-31, 22:06:16
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
This is too big fake suitable for games, but not for realistic renderer. I won't implement it, use displacement instead ;).
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-05-31, 23:13:26
Reply #3

kumodot

• Active Users
  • Corona ADDICTED and Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot
   Sure Ondra !  I´ve  just posted on the wrong forum, the purpose was to discuss the incredible/complex effect Animal Logic archieved to replicate Blue ICE with deep cracks/ice inside it just using using a shader based on Parallax Mapping that "fakes" a lot of complex geometry inside the ice (Sample below) . I will repost on another section. :)

This is too big fake suitable for games, but not for realistic renderer. I won't implement it, use displacement instead ;).
« Last Edit: 2013-05-31, 23:16:30 by kumodot »
Your Portuguese is worse than my english.
--------------------------------------------
3DGeneralist/Vfx Supervisor

2013-05-31, 23:31:14
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
   the purpose was to discuss the incredible/complex effect Animal Logic archieved to replicate Blue ICE with deep cracks/ice inside it just using using a shader based on Parallax Mapping that "fakes" a lot of complex geometry inside the ice (Sample below)

If I read the article correctly I understand that they used "fissure maps" for these complex cracks inside ice and parallax could be used just for this subtle noise and fissures on top.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-06-20, 06:22:02
Reply #5

artofcharly

• Active Users
  • Full-time 3d Outsource
    • View Profile
    • The art of charly

Why do you think that this is a fake?

Fstorm released this and it is works and looks no worse than displacement. But rendered faster and etc...

Recently I recorded a tutorial with this awesome feature, maybe this tutorial will change your mind =)

2020-06-20, 17:38:05
Reply #6

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Mr. Krivulya is definitely right, Ondra, please pay attention to this. 7 years have passed, and we still don't have the opportunity to take full advantage of the opportunities that decals provide for CG artists

2020-06-20, 19:45:28
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
@marchik, this discussion is about parallax mapping. If you want to discuss about decals, find appropriate thread in the forum, or start the new one.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-06-21, 04:51:34
Reply #8

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@romullus
Sorry if you thought this was an offtopic, but in his post Charly mentions the use of parallax bump in conjunction with projection mapping for decals. Because decals are not really usable without a parallax bump and parallax bump can be replaced by displacement if we do not use decals. So I think this is directly related to the issue.

2020-06-21, 11:55:55
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
[..] Because decals are not really usable without a parallax bump [..]

I hate to add oil to the fire, but i have to say that i completely disagree with your statement. Just because you saw few examples in Fstorm, that doesn't mean there are no other uses for decals. In fact i really dislike how projection mapping is implemented in Fstorm. I hope that if one day Corona will have its own projection mapping, it will be done much better.

And now a little bit of on-topic. Lately i was playing with Fstorm and i must admit i'm impressed by its parallax mapping. It's also worth to mention, that parallax in Fstorm looks so good mainly because of self-shadowing and i don't know if 7 years ago there was a single example of paralllax with self-shadowing, so it's not fair to blame Ondra on his statement. Without self-shadowing, parallax really is nothing more than some gimmick from game industry.

2020-06-21, 15:20:57
Reply #10

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's also worth to mention, that parallax in Fstorm looks so good mainly because of self-shadowing and i don't know if 7 years ago there was a single example of paralllax with self-shadowing, so it's not fair to blame Ondra on his statement. Without self-shadowing, parallax really is nothing more than some gimmick from game industry.

Not sure if you meant in game engines or renderers but you can see it in this trailer at minute 1.0 showcasing parallax with self-shadowing for cryengine 2 launched in 2007.

2020-06-21, 15:35:38
Reply #11

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
if 7 years ago there was a single example of paralllax with self-shadowing, so it's not fair to blame Ondra on his statement.
I apologize if I seemed rude, I did not want to blame Ondra for anything) maybe it seems because of my bad English. I just wanted to say that this is an important and necessary feature and we would be very happy to get it in our arsenal)
I already wrote in another topic about the connection of decals and parallax, we can not use decals with a negative height without using parallax bump and self-shadowing , and most decals are such, I mean cracks, holes, potholes.
Please relax Romullus, a discussion of these things and a direct connection with the developers - this is why this forum exists)
all the best to you  and Ondra)

2020-06-21, 17:08:38
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It's also worth to mention, that parallax in Fstorm looks so good mainly because of self-shadowing and i don't know if 7 years ago there was a single example of paralllax with self-shadowing, so it's not fair to blame Ondra on his statement. Without self-shadowing, parallax really is nothing more than some gimmick from game industry.

Not sure if you meant in game engines or renderers but you can see it in this trailer at minute 1.0 showcasing parallax with self-shadowing for cryengine 2 launched in 2007.

Oh, apparently there was an example :] Thanks for pointing that out!

if 7 years ago there was a single example of paralllax with self-shadowing, so it's not fair to blame Ondra on his statement.
I apologize if I seemed rude, I did not want to blame Ondra for anything) maybe it seems because of my bad English. I just wanted to say that this is an important and necessary feature and we would be very happy to get it in our arsenal)
I already wrote in another topic about the connection of decals and parallax, we can not use decals with a negative height without using parallax bump and self-shadowing , and most decals are such, I mean cracks, holes, potholes.
Please relax Romullus, a discussion of these things and a direct connection with the developers - this is why this forum exists)
all the best to you  and Ondra)

I know you didn't blame anybody, nor did i, i just don't like how in every other feature request discussion somebody inevitably has to ask for unrelated requests and eventually all discussion got derailed. But i will go with your advice - i need to relax, while summer is in the air :]