Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520450 times)

2019-12-07, 22:24:28
Reply #705

Neil Cross

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Anyone else having freezing issues after booting up windows. I'm not sure if its Bios or Memory related but this is my setup. My GPU isnt being detected either :/

- AMD Threadripper 2990WX 3 GHz
     - MSI Meg Creation x399
     - Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) CMK64GX4M4B3200C16
     - Corsair AX760 Power Supply
     - Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler
     - GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB

2019-12-10, 12:05:34
Reply #706

Neil Cross

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So iv done further testing to try solve windows freezing.

Memory tests seem fine. I stopped the test this morning cause it was going all night!! but I still believe they the cause. My memory is defaulting at 2133MHz. If I run at XMP1 I can bump my memory up to 2933MHz. Iv tested windows at both clocks and windows still seems to freeze. If I go up to XMP2 which i believe will set my memory to 3200MHz my Mobo crashes with an error F9. I feel memory should not be downclocked. If I could get my memory up to 3200MHz this might solve windows freezing. I've done other tests like CMOS, reseating CPU. no luck. Temperatures all seem fine. Power voltages seem fine. I'm starting to think my CPU doesn't like my memory. Otherwise, it could be my bios settings.

Any suggestions?

Cheers N

2019-12-10, 13:00:59
Reply #707

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi Neil, here are few suggestions from fellow MSI MEG/2990WX owner:

- Did you update to latest bios ? 7B92v13 https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-X399-CREATION#down-bios
- Are you running latest chipset drivers ? Windows doesn't install them correctly. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-X399-CREATION#down-driver

- Keep your memory at 2933 CL15/16. 4x 16 GB could be stable at 3200, but it would require higher end bins and those are expensive (3200 CL16 is common average Hynix/Micron). The supplied XMP profile for 3200 is only stable on Intel x299.
- But if your PC is freezing at default 2133, then it isn't memory controller issue. Since they are also fully detected, it's not issue with seating either. But you can always try with single DIMM for a test.

- Did you try different GPU if you have on lying around? Is your GPU connected with auxiliary PCIe power cables as well?

- Disable wi-fi adapter in bios This has been major issue with latest Windows 10 updates for almost every board on market.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-12-10, 15:46:01
Reply #708

Neil Cross

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj

Thanks for your suggestions. Ill try run single DIMM with the latest drivers and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I'm thinking about replacing the ram with something that's listed on MSI's website. Cough silly me

I'm not using auxiliary. I'm powering the GPU with standard 8x1 pin and the GPU is plugged in PCI-E4. Iv got an older AMD card, R9 390x I could try.

I'll make sure I disable the wifi bios. Where there any other bios tweaks you had to make?

Cheers N

2019-12-10, 15:57:38
Reply #709

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I'll make sure I disable the wifi bios. Where there any other bios tweaks you had to make?

Nothing major outside of disabling the default "Game Boost" (MSI auto OC). It's the dial in left top corner on front page of your UEFI. By default it's on which is wrong, Threadripper should be overclocked either with PBO or not at all but definitely not with this gimmick that provides a set of very unstable profiles.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-12-11, 13:01:28
Reply #711

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Nice VRM test for all TRX40 boards
feature=emb_logo

TL-DR: All boards are good. MSI being the best with heatsink design that doesn't need any 30mm tiny fans, but the other flagships stayed pretty silent.

2019-12-11, 14:16:08
Reply #712

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Nice VRM test for all TRX40 boards
feature=emb_logo

TL-DR: All boards are good. MSI being the best with heatsink design that doesn't need any 30mm tiny fans, but the other flagships stayed pretty silent.
That Msi board makes you wonder why the x570s have the fans. Will you be building a 3rd gen TR Juraj, possibly waiting for the 3990x?

2019-12-11, 15:16:47
Reply #713

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Will you be building a 3rd gen TR Juraj, possibly waiting for the 3990x?
I guess the answer is: yes
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-12-11, 16:07:46
Reply #714

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Unless 3990WX is prohibitely expensive (I guess it could be anywhere between 3 to 5k and the latter would give me uncanny feeling to when I bought dual-xeon for retail list price).
In that case I would still build 3970X because they're all really kickass.

I wonder when the new round of leaks will begin.

That Msi board makes you wonder why the x570s have the fans

It's interesting that among X570, the MSI boards are among the worse ones.

2019-12-15, 23:55:51
Reply #715

Tyron

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, wondering if I could get some advice:-
I've recently built a TR3960X using a Cooler Master ML360 RGB TR4 Edition.
The issue is that when rendering I am reaching CPU temps of ±85°C(Ryzen Master Utility)
Is this normal? Thanks in advance!

2019-12-16, 10:37:46
Reply #716

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, wondering if I could get some advice:-
I've recently built a TR3960X using a Cooler Master ML360 RGB TR4 Edition.
The issue is that when rendering I am reaching CPU temps of ±85°C(Ryzen Master Utility)
Is this normal? Thanks in advance!

Should be lower. Have you used preapplied thermal paste ( if it comes with one) or aftermarket one. What pattern you used to apply aftermarket paste . Could be termalpaste issue.  Have you OC it ? Are all fans working ?

2019-12-16, 21:59:19
Reply #717

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
So this is kind of fun to see, new thermal cooling solutions are starting to pop up apparently. This one kind of takes an industrial grade cooling and places it into your box in a way. Fun stuff and apparently it could help keeping the super duper overclocked 128 core TRs at least a little bit in check :P

Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-12-19, 01:11:40
Reply #718

Tyron

• Users
    • View Profile

Should be lower. Have you used preapplied thermal paste ( if it comes with one) or aftermarket one. What pattern you used to apply aftermarket paste . Could be termalpaste issue.  Have you OC it ? Are all fans working ?

Managed to sort it out thanks for the tips! It was actually my case design, there are not enough exhaust vents for the cooling radiator. I took the cover off and now at full load it sits at around 72°C.

2019-12-21, 13:26:36
Reply #719

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a question.
this processor cooling system

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/wraith-ripper/

is so good, as advertised, for cooling WX threadripper TR4 series?
in my opinion it is very convenient at least during installation.
« Last Edit: 2019-12-21, 13:31:32 by denisgo22 »