Author Topic: Graphics card for new build  (Read 2634 times)

2018-10-30, 16:09:09

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
HI
I'm about the order the last part for my new workstation and im a bit unsure what graphics card would be best, the budget is roughly £500 to £650.

With that budget I can get either a 2070 or a 'budget' 1080ti, The TI has better performance/higher memory but the 2070 is current gen, has the RTX cores and whatever potential improvements that will bring (are there any?) and is about £100 cheaper.

I'm guessing the Max viewport will be pretty much the same on both cards? I'm using a 4gb 770 at the moment so anything will be an improvement to be fair! Im just using Corona but I would like to start trying out some GPU rendering in the future. I also use photoshop, after effects, fusion...the usual stuff.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2018-10-30, 16:45:47
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Being "current gen" has no value, hence why super-old quad-core i7 2600K can still be bought for good money :- ).

2070 might be RTX card, but it's too weak to take advantage of it.
To be more precise, right now, RTX cores are barely used in rendering, so we're only talking computer games and there, raytracing is very costly, barely manageable on 2080ti. DLSS on other hand is benefit always, but only for computer games as well.

1080ti is absolutely superior to 2070 and even to 2080 if we're strictly talking viewports. 11GB Vram will triumph any meagre performance benefit any day.

If you plan to some GPU rendering in future, that might change a thing since RTX cards come with possibility to use NVLink bridge to double the memory capacity, but this is only for 2080 and 2080ti. That would give you respectively 16(2x8) or 22(2x11)GB memory pools, which is very solid improvement.

Right now, imho the choice is only between 1080ti and 2080ti. Former for superior viewport performance due to VRAM (people understate the importance of this, try to have big scene with lot of textures shown in viewport, maybe Photoshop open as well, as see what a difference it makes) and the latter for superior performance in GPU rendering and the NVLink advantage.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-10-30, 17:28:09
Reply #2

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
Thats a shame the NVLink doesnt work for the 2070.

I was swaying towards the 1080TI but I thought its best to check I had not missed anything worthwhile from the new RTX cards, Nvidias gpu line up is such a mess atm.

I will go ahead and buy a 1080 TI, thanks for your help Juraj!

2018-10-30, 23:19:02
Reply #3

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'd suggest looking for a high-tier 1080Ti model from ex-miners with proper local warranty. Best price/performance as they go as low as ~400eur.

2018-10-30, 23:33:56
Reply #4

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1080Ti FTW

& Check the 'first adopter's scene stats again, as nvidia is showing to do worse than anticipated... from the start of the show!

- in inceptum finis est

2018-10-31, 13:52:06
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I'd suggest looking for a high-tier 1080Ti model from ex-miners with proper local warranty. Best price/performance as they go as low as ~400eur.

Even price up to 650 +/- euro is still good for brand new as you can do tax write-off if you're incorporated. Final price is on par with used after all is said and done, but you end up with brand new product with full warranty.

I know mining was done mostly undervolted but still...
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-10-31, 16:39:45
Reply #6

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
I orderded the msi 1080ti duke last night and it arrived today, I found it new for £650 which seemed like a good price.

I did check ebay but for the sake of £100 I would rather have a new one with a full warranty, it will be claimed back on my taxes anyway.