Author Topic: Node improvements | Additional Node Shaders  (Read 4171 times)

2018-11-03, 21:56:54

NEO-N

I rely a lot on node workflow. It's nice we have one in Corona now but it's not over yet. I'm feeling very limited for the moment, especially on procedural workflow. It works great on simple texture/UV based workflow.

This is a list I'll update on what can be improved for a more professional and "production ready" node editor.

• Shortcuts
• Solo node (a way to bypass the "links" (ropes) and only see the selected node, important when working on albedo /roughness maps for exemple - Octane/Arnold has two ways to do it : right click + solo for Octane, and a shortcut with Arnold to link the selected shader directly to the node output (Arnold works differently, it works with an output input)
• When creating a new material in the node, it creates a new one in the material manager, this should be removed and work the same as in Arnold/redshift.
• More nodes : Invert (without using the color-correct node), Multiply, Float (value of 0-1), Projection (UV) & Transform (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=22275.0) are a good start. 
• More curve/slider UI for nodes than default C4D basic gradient workflow.
• Tedious task but maybe replace the C4D compatible shader by some real Corona shaders ? Imagine Maxon decides to remove some shaders, and overall it's always better to have custom made shaders like all other renderers, for more control and user preferences.
• Invert checkbox directly in CoronaBitmap, to avoid the over use of ColorC_Node

2018-11-06, 23:21:23
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
+1 on pretty much everything. The Solo option and the UVW transform (not the projector effect) are key to me though. :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-01-04, 16:19:01
Reply #2

viclio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Those are all good ideas.
I'm missing the solo button the most :)

2019-01-10, 11:51:20
Reply #3

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes +1 for me too to the above:)

2019-10-22, 13:03:11
Reply #4

tuami

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-10-22, 15:29:26
Reply #5

NOOKTA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.nookta.de
This is good stuff, I didn't know about SOLO function, that sounds like a pretty smart thing to implement. I also have some ideas I would like to add. I tried to depict it in simple snapshots. Please excuse my mouse-handwriting, but my actual handwriting would be less readable :P

Oh and for the Transform function, I usually go with the layer-shader and add the effect transform, because I don't like the projector either - also attached a snapshot. This even shows in the viewport, if cinema/corona doesn't lose it somehow (sometimes materials just show white, "render materials" doesn't bring it back.)

Cheers,

Ara
www.nookta.de — architectural visualization based in germany
https://www.instagram.com/nookta_visualization/

2019-10-23, 14:36:32
Reply #6

fedestampini

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 especially on the UV node

2019-10-31, 11:01:03
Reply #7

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+100 Solo and UVW transform

2019-11-01, 11:09:34
Reply #8

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Right on, we are picking some steam here :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-11-05, 17:52:29
Reply #9

fedestampini

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 on everything
I keep seeing people requesting the same stuff over and over like in my old post https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=26202.0
but never really understood if this aditional shader are a priority for the Dev team.