Author Topic: Problem with Corona Distance Texmap  (Read 1311 times)

2019-05-17, 13:00:39

patrick.testa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,
I have an issue with distance map, using the "color inside" option of the map. I want to use it to apply different materials on a terrain (and also as a mask for the CScatter grass)
The object that defines the roads is made with an extruded spline, which shouldn't have issues, since the extrusion is capped correctly on top and bottom.
The shape is quite complex and, because of that, some portions of the terrain have the wrong materil applied. If I try to add or remove vertices to the spline, the resulting errors vary in position and shape. I have tried dividing it in two o more separate objects but the result is quite the same…
Does anybody have found a solution or workaround to this particular issue?
I attach a couple screenshots…
Thanks in advance,

Patrick

2019-05-17, 13:07:56
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Usually, adding a chamfer on the edges of the distance object helps, best as a modifier to tweak the chamfer value (Max 2016 and up). If not, add a subdivide or quadify modifier before the chamfer, it's a bit of trial and error. Sometimes, this will produce artifacts in other places on objects using the distance map so make sure to check the entire object if it looks ok.

2019-05-17, 14:12:51
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Also, have you tried the daily builds? The one release on Mar 29th has "more robust inside detection for Corona distance texmap - this mode is now the default" would be interested to know if that change made any difference to the problems in your scene.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-05-17, 17:15:00
Reply #3

patrick.testa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you both for your advices!
I’ve tried the chamfer+subdivide solution and it reduces the problem almost completely!
I will also try to install the daily build to see if it works with the original geometry. (I’ve never tried daily builds until now because I use RebusFarm and I’m afraid that I could have issues with the version they use...

2019-05-17, 17:32:31
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Entirely possible any render farm would not have a daily build installed, they do normally stay with official releases only.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us