Author Topic: Imported Revit geometry  (Read 5162 times)

2017-07-26, 07:41:14

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Hi all. We are getting more and more Revit files to start with from our clients, even though we remodel everything, for some reason, these files become laggy and need several minutes to open (10gb network). Same goes for DR, takes 3-4 minutes parsing on nodes, usually DR starts in a few seconds. Any solution to this? We also tried merging the new geometry to new file, remains the same.

Thanks!

2017-07-26, 12:08:24
Reply #1

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How do you mean you remodel everything? If you get a lot of instances when importing, that might be a cause. Max is very slow if you have many instances and groups, for example.

2017-07-26, 12:32:39
Reply #2

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Because of the bad geometry after import, we try to keep it as clean as possible. It could also be related to the textures from Revit import, isn`t shown in Assets tracking, but DR log says its checking for missing assets for 4-5 min even though its all clean in AT.

2017-07-26, 16:54:02
Reply #3

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, but do you mean that your rebuilt geometry is the problem? I've found that textures that don't show up in asset tracking shows up after you convert bitmaps->coronabitmaps in the converter (for some reason).

2017-07-26, 17:11:17
Reply #4

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
No, just wanted to note that we erase the Revit model after having it remodeled.
I will try that, thanks for the note!

edit: it finds some Revit textures, but still parses the scene alot on DR.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-26, 18:11:18 by hrvojezg00 »

2017-07-27, 09:39:41
Reply #5

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Pretty much all files which have some fbx for Revit imported are opening very very slow. Anyone has problems with it too?

2018-01-24, 16:26:31
Reply #6

dadefault

• Users
    • View Profile
i have this problem too

2018-02-02, 12:37:21
Reply #7

gpz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
i'm working a lot with model imported from revit.
I don't have so much problem.
I use workflow function frorm revit that connect directly the model to 3dsmax.
It's a fbx file.
But geometry is fine and i don't need to remodel.
Just some work to convert materials.

2018-02-02, 18:45:47
Reply #8

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It takes a while to open but once in performance is not a problem. I do get a lot of geometry issues, flipped faces, etc and it is very messy to convert materials with all multi materials.

2018-02-02, 21:01:54
Reply #9

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Revit geometry comes through so much cleaner and with better tesselation in dwg format.
The slowness i often believe comes from the fact that imported revit data holds a hell of alot of BIM data on the backend even in fbx format. Sometimes it comes into max as attributes under the object properties. There are also alot of nodes from revit when bringing in max that slow viewport performance. try deleting everything that isnt geometry from your document. then fun SINI Forensic (a free plugin) and finally a garbage collection on your file.

You can also import revit files direct into max in the import dialog if the materials are important to retain. It gives you great tesselation control. I also use a script from scriptspot which turns revit categories into max layers so all your geometry is on layers defined by their family type such as windows/doors etc which makes mass texturing so much easier for things like glass or metalwork.

I work with revit files all day long and this is the best way ive found to improve viewport performance.

2018-02-13, 15:07:55
Reply #10

dadefault

• Users
    • View Profile
My work flow is: modelling Revit
                         export in FBX
                         open in C4D (mac)
                         render with Corona

And i have big problem only with Corona (crash) because if i render with Cinema (standard mode) i have no problem

2018-02-13, 15:26:05
Reply #11

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Hi dadefault, can you send us the crashing scene/model? You can use the private uploader (link is in my signature). That would help us immensely to fix Corona!

2018-02-13, 18:20:47
Reply #12

gpz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My work flow is: modelling Revit
                         export in FBX
                         open in C4D (mac)
                         render with Corona

And i have big problem only with Corona (crash) because if i render with Cinema (standard mode) i have no problem

I do in the same way but i got some problem with unit of the drawing