Author Topic: NAS vs Cloud  (Read 6683 times)

2016-03-04, 14:19:38

srikken

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm doubting between investing in a NAS or getting a Cloud subscription.
They both have there pro's and con's.

With NAS you can have a lot of storage but it is also expensive. And if the building burns down or someone steals it, your files are gone.

With a Cloud subscription you get less storage but it's a lot cheaper (1TB for like 7 euros), and your files are safe! But they are stored on someone else there machines. And if you have a small render farm you every node needs a hdd where it can store the files, it goes over the internet so its also slower than a NAS.

What do you guys use and why?

Thanks!

2016-03-04, 14:42:00
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Where can you get such cheap cloud :- ) ? You mean per month right ?

If you have fast internet, esp. upload (I had 250/250mbit), cloud will make more and more sense in near future, it has much better redundancy so you don't have to keep thinking about back-up. Even single NAS is not bullet-proof solution as you correctly wrote.

Lot of companies use both.

But that's talking about back-up of files only. Local NAS is also used as file storage to be directly accessed real-time, at much better speeds and latency. Hence, why both make sense to be used together.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-03-04, 15:25:13
Reply #2

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Or have two NAS systems stored on different places (home and work) that are synced together.

2016-03-04, 15:30:59
Reply #3

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Hi there,
we have a NAS as file server for a couple of years which does a decent job. As Juraj mentioned, the speeds and latency are great.
Further more we own a cloud account as well, we use this for archiving our projects so we are not running out of storage space on the Nas.
If you look for affordable cloud space, you can have a look at www.hubic.com or Amazon Cloud drive

2016-03-27, 19:08:53
Reply #4

srikken

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks for your answers.
I've done a lot of research and finally went with the two NAS system configuration. I think this is the best way to have a secure backup and quick accesses to everything if something goes wrong.

I bought 2 two bay nas systems, with four harddrives. Of which I have installed one at my home office and one at my grandparents :). The harddrives are in a RAID 0 configuration and backup every night to the one away from my office.
They are in RAID 0 because I have the projects where i'm currently working on syncs to my desktop. So if one nas drive fails i can work further.

2016-03-27, 20:30:42
Reply #5

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Where I live, putting client's data on Cloud services is gray area illegal.
You give user data, which may or may not fall into the category if "sensitive user data" to a 3rd party, which in case any thing happens, won't hold up in any court.
Encryption is not feasable as a workflow.

I have heard enough horror stories to stay away from these solutions.

They are in RAID 0 because I have the projects where i'm currently working on syncs to my desktop. So if one nas drive fails i can work further.
No you can't, don't mix it up, raid 0 is striped performance, if one HDD dies you are screwed.
Raid 1 is the mirroring you mean.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-03-28, 11:10:54
Reply #6

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Hi,

Thanks for your answers.
I've done a lot of research and finally went with the two NAS system configuration. I think this is the best way to have a secure backup and quick accesses to everything if something goes wrong.

I bought 2 two bay nas systems, with four harddrives. Of which I have installed one at my home office and one at my grandparents :). The harddrives are in a RAID 0 configuration and backup every night to the one away from my office.

Sounds like a good setup. What are you using to do the backup from work NAS > home NAS?
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-03-29, 09:30:49
Reply #7

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Exactly my setup as stated in my previous post.

I'm using two identical Synology NAS system that has it's own software for syncing: https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/6.0/cloud_file_syncing

2016-03-29, 09:42:00
Reply #8

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Exactly my setup as stated in my previous post.

I'm using two identical Synology NAS system that has it's own software for syncing: https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/6.0/cloud_file_syncing

Thanks! :)
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-03-31, 13:43:29
Reply #9

srikken

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Where I live, putting client's data on Cloud services is gray area illegal.
You give user data, which may or may not fall into the category if "sensitive user data" to a 3rd party, which in case any thing happens, won't hold up in any court.
Encryption is not feasable as a workflow.

I have heard enough horror stories to stay away from these solutions.

Yes I think something like this is also the case in our country. But only for personal information like medical documents or home address or so, if i remember it correctly.

No you can't, don't mix it up, raid 0 is striped performance, if one HDD dies you are screwed.
Raid 1 is the mirroring you mean.

I know, but i mean that I use the two HDDs at my home office both for storage, without instant protection (raid 0) so i have the full storage capability. But they backup every night to a NAS on a different location. So if one fails I stil have the backup from the night before on the other nas system.
Because I have synct my projects where i'm currently working on with my desktop, with synology cloud. I can still work on those local synct projects if one nas drive at my office dies. And the project that are not synct to my desktop are on the backup HDD.

I hope it is clear so

2016-03-31, 14:43:28
Reply #10

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
I hope it is clear so
ohh, ye, thats what you ment by sync :D
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-04-08, 10:12:51
Reply #11

leon08

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm doubting between investing in a NAS or getting a Cloudflare vs akamai subscription.
They both have there pro's and con's.

With NAS you can have a lot of storage but it is also expensive. And if the building burns down or someone steals it, your files are gone.

With a Cloud subscription you get less storage but it's a lot cheaper (1TB for like 7 euros), and your files are safe! But they are stored on someone else there machines. And if you have a small render farm you every node needs a hdd where it can store the files, it goes over the internet so its also slower than a NAS.

What do you guys use and why?

Thanks!

At the consumer end of the market, Network Attached Storage is often marketed as a “personal cloud” solution, and comparisons to cloud services are valid.