Author Topic: Fireplace visual  (Read 5340 times)

2013-12-13, 01:03:37

eduard.caliman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

here is a visual I have done for a fireplace manufacturer based in London. I have done 2 versions of the wall in which the fireplace is enclosed and for the stone wall I have used displacement which worked like a charm.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers !

« Last Edit: 2013-12-13, 02:53:16 by eduard.caliman »

2013-12-13, 02:32:38
Reply #1

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I might as well just give up now...lol. These are amazing! Great lighting and overall tonal balance.

Mind running though your lighting / exposure setup? And are those flames done in post production?
Vray who?

2013-12-13, 03:02:23
Reply #2

eduard.caliman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi agentdark, I'm glad you enjoyed the renders : P
My lighting workflow consists of only HDRIs, usually Peter Guthrie's. For this particular scene I ended up desaturating it a bit though to match a more wintery type of light.
I sometimes also use Corona's sun and sky and I have to say that I really enjoy it.

What I wanted was to create some contrast between the cold white from outside and the overall warm light being shed in the interior from the fireplace, thus enhancing its presence.

As for the fire I had created it in the scene but ended up doing it in post because it looked better.

If you have any more questions I'll be glad to answer them.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: 2013-12-13, 03:05:56 by eduard.caliman »

2013-12-13, 07:22:42
Reply #3

nehale

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh please do share your cladding material settings

and how long did it take to render and on what pc configuration?
I had a girlfriend once.....her name was Vray

2013-12-13, 13:25:49
Reply #4

eduard.caliman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there nehale. I left it during the night so I think it was about 6/7 hours on my 2x Xeon 5650 @2.66 Ghz (24 threads). I will let you know about the cladding shader tonight when I will get home from work.

Cheers !

2013-12-13, 16:55:40
Reply #5

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi agentdark, I'm glad you enjoyed the renders : P
My lighting workflow consists of only HDRIs, usually Peter Guthrie's. For this particular scene I ended up desaturating it a bit though to match a more wintery type of light.
I sometimes also use Corona's sun and sky and I have to say that I really enjoy it.

What I wanted was to create some contrast between the cold white from outside and the overall warm light being shed in the interior from the fireplace, thus enhancing its presence.

As for the fire I had created it in the scene but ended up doing it in post because it looked better.

If you have any more questions I'll be glad to answer them.

Cheers !

Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful. I'm currently working on a project with a fireplace and using opacity maps + emission and a few corona lights to simulate flames...but it might have to end up being a post production thing (unless I can get my hands on the new plasma glow feature keymaster is working on!)

You definitely nailed the warmth of the interior. Are you using regular spherical corona lights or another light type for your interior lighting?
Vray who?

2013-12-13, 19:16:45
Reply #6

eduard.caliman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks agendark45, the downlights in the niches are IES lights while the light in the lamp is indeed a spherical light.

As for the shader I am using a vizpark texture and hereunder you have some screenshots:

DIFFUSE

BUMP

DISPLACEMENT

REFLECTION

I hope this helps, cheers !