Author Topic: Iridescent/Metallic glass shader  (Read 1674 times)

2021-11-22, 18:16:39

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Has anyone got any thoughts on how to make a glass shader similar to the attached image?
Im thinking theres some mix of glass, thinfilm and maybe a metal shader but im struggling to find the right balance or create something physically plausible.
I believe its glass but its been coated inside with a metal of some sort.

2021-11-22, 19:28:37
Reply #1

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you are talking about the bottom 2 spheres, then this is called Dispersion. In the legacy material its 1 below Refraction.

2021-11-22, 22:59:49
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you are talking about the bottom 2 spheres, then this is called Dispersion. In the legacy material its 1 below Refraction.

Ill have a go thanks. Im not 100% sure that its dispersion it looks to me like a coating

2021-11-22, 23:27:05
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It looks like a job for the Siger's thin film texmap. https://www.sigerstudio.eu/sigertexmaps-thinfilm/
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-11-22, 23:47:58
Reply #4

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It looks like a job for the Siger's thin film texmap. https://www.sigerstudio.eu/sigertexmaps-thinfilm/

Yeah ive got that and had a play around with it. Its sort of halfway between metal and glass which is where im getting stuck because obviously its physically possible but im not sure how to make that physically based in corona (v6)

2021-11-23, 09:21:20
Reply #5

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile

+1

I really do love Sigers plugins.

2021-11-24, 01:42:20
Reply #6

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Use Siger thin film on a glass shader and then add roughness to the coat layer in the new Physical Material Shader, or create a layered material to add the dust / dirt.

For all intents and purposes the reference image shows, basically, a "dirty bubble" shader.

2021-11-24, 10:18:28
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think thin film texmap can be successfully used with Corona physical material, at least not in a way it's intended to. I think you need to use legacy material, which of course doesn't have clear coat.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-11-24, 14:18:23
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
My experiments back during the dailies of 7 when I wanted to know how this kind of look would be handled with the new Phys Mat suggests using the Absorption in the Clearcoat (basically, an extra coating of some sort of oil-like material on top of the base glass). Just remember that the clear coat colors everything beneath it, so don't make the colors too strong (else it will start to look like colored glass :) ).

I thought this was shown somewhere but I can't find it, so here's the scene re-opened and screengrabbed, I think with some playing it would give the desired kind of effect.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us