Author Topic: Corona Material Library  (Read 5612 times)

2017-11-15, 19:44:22

naturalstate

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is the new Corona Material Library setup for metric system units? It seems like when I apply these materials to objects in my scene that are in inches system units the maps are way too big. Applying UVW modifier seems to preview making a change in the viewport and changes scaling of material, but when I render the material is still way too big. So it appears that UVW map modifer isn't actually making changes even though it changes in viewport.

For example the car paint flakes silver material looks horrible when I apply to object that is 3' x 6'. Changing UVW map modifier to box, 1' x1' and uncheck real world changes in viewport but not in rendering. Am I supposed to go in and modify scaling settings on different material nodes? Like changing "Scale" in Corona Triplanar node and then change tiling settings in the bitmap node? I'm not sure since those are different units how I would even keep those two node changes proportionate?

Can anyone please help me?
Thanks

2017-11-15, 20:06:43
Reply #1

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Corona materials are made with System Units set to millimeter. When using anything else for System Unit you need to convert all values. The easiest way to do this, is to apply the materials to object in a file/scene set to millimeter, and then merge those objects into your scene.

Note: Remember to check "Respect System Unit" in the system units dialog - otherwise the merge/conversion won't work as expected.

AFAIK the will be some real-world-scale update/fix, but for now this is the way I use when I don't want to convert several materials manually.

Hope it helps

2017-11-15, 21:49:30
Reply #2

naturalstate

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool, thanks so much for the explanation on that. I didn't see anywhere that the materials are in millimeters. 

2017-11-15, 22:27:01
Reply #3

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • johny.mrazko.visualization
Materials are created in mm/mm unit scenario that´s right. Adding uvw mapping won´t override triplanar mapping inside the shader, you will have to either adjust values inside triplanar map or delete triplanar and use object uvw mapping.

Even when there is planned update that will shed some light into maps scaling (so users will not have to guess the scale), I still don´t know how to maintain procedural and absorbtion, AO values when dropping materials inside scenes with different units setup :/

One workaround might be what PROH suggested.. but it is still not very user friendly

2017-11-15, 22:35:47
Reply #4

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. The most user friendly is to have the possibility to select materials between different units. I've made a cm matlib replacement myself, but I also often work with units set to meter, and then I have the same problem.

If this "conversion" can't be automated, then we need a matlib for each unit, and the possibility to switch between them.

Regards

2017-11-15, 22:43:21
Reply #5

naturalstate

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there another way to do this? Seems unfortunate that I cannot use any of the Corona materials in the library without first changing scene units,  applying them to an object and then having to merge them with scene.

2017-11-15, 22:53:34
Reply #6

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Change the values manually. You know they are made in millimeter, and you know what your system unit is set to. The rest is pure math (and manual tweaking).

2017-11-16, 11:30:19
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I guess someone (very skilled and generous) could write a maxscript that would scale all unit-dependent material properties.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-11-17, 08:49:42
Reply #8

Darkki

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I couldn't find a better place so I ask in this thread. This migth be a dump question but I didn't find any answer whatsoever.
Is there way to add your own materials to corona material library? I would love to gather my own premade materials there because its so simple and easy to use.
And yes, in 3dsmax.

2017-11-17, 09:36:43
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That's not possible yet, however such feature is planned for future versions.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-11-17, 09:40:49
Reply #10

Darkki

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks romullus!
Would really love that feature, so +1 from me.

2017-11-17, 09:42:51
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think this is the best place for feature requests and general material library discussion:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=17498.0
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us