Author Topic: Displacement Bug - Objects with thickness  (Read 2831 times)

2022-06-22, 11:17:20
Reply #15

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
It's easy to get caught and get annoyed by this behaviour, but when you think for a moment how displacement should act when it meets hard corners, it's not as easy to find a proper solution as one might think.

Well, know that I know, I prefer it like this knowing that the workaround is chamber or subdivide in the worst case.
Thanks for your support guys!

Hi George and thanks, actually that's another solution too!

Although it depends on what exactly you are trying to apply the decal on, an alternative would be to break surface vertices, in a case where your object is a box "wall" rather than just a plane, it will treat each polygon as a flat plane (granted no flat displacement is applied on the wall).

2022-06-22, 15:04:23
Reply #16

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
This is an intended behavior. Displacement is following the direction of averaged normals. I understand that the behavior that you would like to see would be displacement being always perpendicular to the surface, right? So for example if we create a box with just 6 faces (no additional subdivisions), each face would be displaced exactly in the direction of each of the faces' normals.

But if we do this, what would the corners of this box look like? :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-06-22, 15:20:28
Reply #17

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
This is an intended behavior. Displacement is following the direction of averaged normals. I understand that the behavior that you would like to see would be displacement being always perpendicular to the surface, right? So for example if we create a box with just 6 faces (no additional subdivisions), each face would be displaced exactly in the direction of each of the faces' normals.

But if we do this, what would the corners of this box look like? :)

Thanks Maru and thanks to all the other people here as I wasn't aware of this change on Displacement.
At this point is easy to deal with, knowing how it works and specially we got rid of the corners problem! :)

Thanks again!