Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.7  (Read 169089 times)

2017-07-26, 20:23:45
Reply #225

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
... or in a farm environment where you have installed already the maximum possible ram the board is capable of :-[ But I do not quite understand the latest moves anyway - except moving the office again of course :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-07-26, 20:27:31
Reply #226

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Reading this tread after latest daily I feel like nobody is happy with that...
It's so weird! I work mostly with exterior visualization and I've noticed already really great speedup! Did couple of test with interior scenes and got cleaner pictures for the same time as pictures rendered with previous build! I'm really happy that you guys are working hard to improve your product and make it even faster that it is.
So THANKS A LOT, Corona team!

2017-07-26, 20:35:23
Reply #227

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmm I observed ram usage increase from 28-30gigs of ram up to 42gigs on that scene i'm working on - not a big deal but seems to be on 15%++ side of things yet speed increase is surely worth it )) Anyway that scene of mine uses some proxies, some forestpack objects and some displacement - well the usual wip mess of a scene so it's hard to tell what can be chewing that additional ram + one strange thing I observed while doing some 4k preview rendering of it - scene started to render using some amount of ram then it did displacement + secondary gi and went up to 42gigs (well more or less the usual thing) then it rendered to around 4 passes (around 10 min or something) using those 42gig and then, suddenly, while rendering 5th pass it jumped down to 36gigs - never seen Corona behave like this - maybe it's something wrong on my end and that initial bigger than +15% ram consumption increase difference I'm observing is not normal after all.

I've been seeing some very odd Ram usage too.  Can't figure out if it's Max or Corona.  Running the second most recent daily build as of today.  My scene sometimes renders at 8gb and sometimes 20gb.  Seems like it's random.  Even tried merging into a new scene and no luck.  Just have to keep re opening and re rendering till Ram usage drops.  Pretty simple interior archviz scene with forest pack and no displacement to speak of.

On another note, can't wait to try the newest build and compare speedup!

2017-07-27, 00:57:32
Reply #228

ihabkal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That speed increase for 5-15% more RAM tradeoff might be very troublesome, especially in an office environment where IT/ownership won't spend the $ for more RAM for several computers.

that's a bit of an exaggeration "very troublesome", about a year ago I realized after using Corona for 6 months that it needs more ram than VRAY, my nodes have 48GB and my main machine 128GB. I am aware that sooner or later all my nodes will need to be 64GB. WIth scenes and software getting more complex there is no escape you just need to accept that your wallet needs to hurt and you need to do whatever to get that RAM. Those who can't adapt won't be able to compete. Having faster rendering for animations can make or break a business, needing more ram is just money you spend.

2017-07-27, 21:49:54
Reply #229

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmm I observed ram usage increase from 28-30gigs of ram up to 42gigs on that scene i'm working on - not a big deal but seems to be on 15%++ side of things yet speed increase is surely worth it )) Anyway that scene of mine uses some proxies, some forestpack objects and some displacement - well the usual wip mess of a scene so it's hard to tell what can be chewing that additional ram + one strange thing I observed while doing some 4k preview rendering of it - scene started to render using some amount of ram then it did displacement + secondary gi and went up to 42gigs (well more or less the usual thing) then it rendered to around 4 passes (around 10 min or something) using those 42gig and then, suddenly, while rendering 5th pass it jumped down to 36gigs - never seen Corona behave like this - maybe it's something wrong on my end and that initial bigger than +15% ram consumption increase difference I'm observing is not normal after all.

I've been seeing some very odd Ram usage too.  Can't figure out if it's Max or Corona.  Running the second most recent daily build as of today.  My scene sometimes renders at 8gb and sometimes 20gb.  Seems like it's random.  Even tried merging into a new scene and no luck.  Just have to keep re opening and re rendering till Ram usage drops.  Pretty simple interior archviz scene with forest pack and no displacement to speak of.

On another note, can't wait to try the newest build and compare speedup!

So, weird RAM usage is still there in the latest build.  What I notice is that after rendering for a few minutes it drops from 20gb to 6gb!  Super weird.  No distributed rendering, just local.  Only one render element (Object ID).  Then, if I stop the render and then hit render again, the ram usage stays low at like 6gb.  Any thoughts?  I'll have to test with DR and see if nodes stay high or go low...

New speed increase is super nice by the way!  Fewer fireflies, sharper edges, less noise, etc.  No more 'passes' but that's kind of an arbitrary number anyway.

2017-07-31, 00:51:18
Reply #230

ihabkal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I rendered a project this weekend with the very latest build, 10 render nodes DR, big city with plenty of 3d trees and shrubs, everything worked fine no issues to report. used 40+ GB ram per node.

2017-08-01, 05:38:20
Reply #231

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
Working with last builds have to say that the problem I've mentioned some time ago "Corona 1.6, FP 5.3.1/2/3b grass is changing during the production rendering" https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,16135.msg101906.html#msg101906  with FP 5.4.0 is still here... Lock 3DS Max helps, but it's not convenient to keep it locked all the time

2017-08-01, 07:21:47
Reply #232

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
is there any possibility for having a build like 1.6.2 but with "significant speedup due to better sampling: scenes with glossy surfaces clean up faster" and without hair material feature? :) :)
with 1.6.2 i got 100% speedup for my interiors scenes, that was so great and unbelievable. and now I have few more upcoming scenes with glossy materials but with h&r rugs which I cant use the daily build for that..
I cant deal with the incompatibility issue for a moment.

2017-08-01, 10:02:23
Reply #233

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
sorry, this speedup is much more complex, so it cannot be backported into 1.6
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-08-01, 10:26:11
Reply #234

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
is there any possibility for having a build like 1.6.2 but with "significant speedup due to better sampling: scenes with glossy surfaces clean up faster" and without hair material feature? :) :)
with 1.6.2 i got 100% speedup for my interiors scenes, that was so great and unbelievable. and now I have few more upcoming scenes with glossy materials but with h&r rugs which I cant use the daily build for that..
I cant deal with the incompatibility issue for a moment.

Shouldn't you ask for full CoronaHair support of H&F, instead of dumbing it down to the previous state? :]

As for your rugs, can't you convert them to mesh and then to proxy or are they too complex for that?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-08-01, 11:28:25
Reply #235

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
H&F is now fully supported, there should be no issues
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-08-01, 11:39:27
Reply #236

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
H&F is now fully supported, there should be no issues
a big yeay for corona!
and big thanks, for let me undo my process of converting h&f to mesh and proxy it (romullus idea) :D
when will that build be available for us ? :)

Shouldn't you ask for full CoronaHair support of H&F, instead of dumbing it down to the previous state? :]
As for your rugs, can't you convert them to mesh and then to proxy or are they too complex for that?
haha thanks romullus, my questions came from a boiling head :)

2017-08-01, 12:38:19
Reply #237

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
it is available in the current one

2017-08-01, 13:12:58
Reply #238

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you tried the new daily with new speedups? Here are some images where the difference is largest: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,15845.msg106441.html#msg106441

2017-08-01, 14:36:11
Reply #239

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tried the new build - found some small differences of reflections on glossy surfaces, but didn't see speedup of cleaning picture
Max 2014