Author Topic: Lumion 8- A Game Changer??  (Read 27301 times)

2017-11-08, 17:03:10

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Stumbled on this

From what I am gathering. It's all realtime, no lightmaps or baking?? Lighting is also dynamic. I am wondering if this might pose competition to UE4 and even offline renderers. I m also curious how they have been able to achieve high quality GI in realtime if this is true as currently realtime GI isn't quite there yet.
« Last Edit: 2017-11-08, 17:33:12 by melviso »

2017-11-08, 17:57:34
Reply #1

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Lumion isn't a real time software.

Farnsworth House, rendered in Lumion 8 with the highest quality enabled. Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080. Render time: 22 seconds.

Parisian Bistro, rendered in Lumion 8 with the highest quality enabled. Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080. Render time: 18 seconds

But sure, from the first release of Lumion to this new release they did a great improvement.

2017-11-08, 18:04:34
Reply #2

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Have you seen how much they will charge.......

2017-11-08, 19:02:52
Reply #3

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Yes, but it's not very expensive.

Try to think: the PRO (3.000 euro) has a 4300 pre-made model (ok, some are very simple)
But it means, more or less, 0.6 euro/model only for the models.

Plus, the software is very strong and full of features.

2017-11-08, 19:36:53
Reply #4

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
@cecofuli   I stand corrected then. But admittedly, that's very fast rendering time per frame. I was beginning to wonder about how they got dynamic lighting in real time :-0

@johan belmans   Yep, very pricey tbh.

@ When you put it that way, makes sense but it's still on the high side. I do find the human models in the shots in the youtube video quite expressive animation wise. That was a nice touch imho though one can tell they are 3d models rather than lifelike humans which is quite tasking to pull off.

I wonder how this compares to the usual use of offline renderers though.
« Last Edit: 2017-11-08, 21:45:37 by melviso »

2017-11-08, 20:07:41
Reply #5

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

Try to think: the PRO (3.000 euro) has a 4300 pre-made model (ok, some are very simple)

Hi Ceofuli,

If Lumion would be our daily used software package, then maybe yes.
But this is currently not the case, so Unreal is a better option for those occasional real time render jobs we do at the moment.

2017-11-08, 22:32:09
Reply #6

WAcky

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi Ceofuli,

But this is currently not the case, so Unreal is a better option for those occasional real time render jobs we do at the moment.

FYI the new arch-viz features in Unreal will be part of an enterprise subscription structure from what I've read :(

2017-11-09, 09:30:10
Reply #7

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

Hi Ceofuli,

FYI the new arch-viz features in Unreal will be part of an enterprise subscription structure from what I've read :(

Hi WAcky,

you are talking about Datasmith. Yes, I have heard about that. I even have asked Chris Murray about the price, but he didn't answer.
Anyway Datasmith is intended to speed up your workflow.
But I have a feeling that it could be princely. Let's see how it will turn out.

2017-11-09, 09:42:10
Reply #8

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi Ceofuli,

Hi WAcky,

you are talking about Datasmith. Yes, I have heard about that. I even have asked Chris Murray about the price, but he didn't answer.

I enter in Datasmith betatesting and It is very promising. Easy to export/import and they are working on Corona=>UE conversion. The materials you get in Unreal are a bit complex but Im sure they will get a good tool.

About Lumion, I prefer UE because of customization and blueprint control. Anyway they did good improvements.

2017-11-09, 10:37:21
Reply #9

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very good lighting quality

and it seems motion blur and depth of field is better than in unreal

2017-11-09, 10:47:48
Reply #10

WAcky

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi Ceofuli,

Hi WAcky,

I enter in Datasmith betatesting and It is very promising. Easy to export/import and they are working on Corona=>UE conversion. The materials you get in Unreal are a bit complex but Im sure they will get a good tool.

About Lumion, I prefer UE because of customization and blueprint control. Anyway they did good improvements.

Yes I think with the new GI improvements in the latest UE it'll be getting better and better but I am concerned about the subscription model. Also I also don't really understand why the materials are created in such a complex way. I think it'll take some time before DS is really a "one click solution".

2017-11-09, 15:08:53
Reply #11

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can someone explain the difference to me between Lumion 8 and UE4 from an archviz standpoint? (besides the price).

Does Lumion allow you to import custom created models from Max, or are you stuck using their asset library? How does it handle UV mapping, light mapping e.t.c.
Vray who?

2017-11-09, 21:49:36
Reply #12

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Very good lighting quality
Agreed. The Lumion guys should maybe consider releasing a version without the supposed 3d assets package. Maybe it would cost lesser cause I don't see people dropping ue4 which is free, has interactive features for this or offline renderers which have a better payment for something that is of that amount.

I wonder how it has this very high lighting quality with such rendering speed. I can't help thinking of all the details I can handpaint and the lighting within say 18 seconds fully rendered and an animation video in no time. :- O

2017-11-09, 22:55:10
Reply #13

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It doesn't seem like it is out yet, at least there doesn't seem to be anyone with first hand experience. I'm also curious how these guys do it, Enscape is also starting to look really good, all in realtime.

2017-11-10, 00:37:58
Reply #14

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wonder how it has this very high lighting quality with such rendering speed. I can't help thinking of all the details I can handpaint and the lighting within say 18 seconds fully rendered and an animation video in no time. :- O

I'm not sure how it is with Lumion, but the reason I prefer to work in a cryengine viewport is because everything is in realtime. So the shadows and lighting updates instantly. Just like working in a 3ds max viewport except you are seeing the final look.
Well, not quite final, but 80% final and without antialiasing. In my cryengine the final render can also take about 10 seconds or more for the final depth of field and motion blur and area shadows and so on.
But the possibility to work with the final look is quite satisfying and very important. It encourages you to make changes and refine the result.
It's also easy to tweak animations and camera moves.
It will be a game changer when you'll be able to do that in a 3ds max viewport. I dream about that day.

I'm imagining in Lumion it is the same like in any gaming engine. You work with real-time updates and seeing almost the final look. And then hit the slower render for the final quality.