Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.6  (Read 131647 times)

2016-10-17, 18:36:50
Reply #15

Dollmaker

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sounds good thanks.. I will try it :)

2016-10-20, 10:54:53
Reply #16

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Embree released a new small update with version v2.12.0
If I recall correctly, currently Corona is at v2.10.0.

The biggest thing about v2.12.0 is the memory fix for a large memory usage bug they introduced in v2.11.0. Since corona never had it, this is irrelevant.
Just out of curiosity, are the other small improvements relevant for coronas implementation?
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-10-20, 11:36:51
Reply #17

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
already implemented :D 1.5 had embree 2.11 and 1.4 had 2.9 that probably caused the memory usage and/or freezing/lagging problems. Hopefully everything is fixed now - we worked on a fix with the embree team.

Biggest thing would be probably lower memory usage/faster build time when using motion blur. We will have to try it at some point.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-10-20, 12:09:39
Reply #18

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
already implemented :D
Holy moly that's fast.
The Embree Team is really awesome and a breath of fresh air with their openness. I code in industrial research now and started looking into modern instruction sets. Asked for the Embree Team for direction and they gave awesome resources 4 hours after I E-Mailed them. Never expected that in a field like Software development and certainly not from a mega crop like Intel.

Corona is apparently at the tip of raytrace  technology that is actually implemented and available.

2016-10-20, 12:34:17
Reply #19

GabaCGStudio

already implemented :D 1.5 had embree 2.11 and 1.4 had 2.9 that probably caused the memory usage and/or freezing/lagging problems. Hopefully everything is fixed now - we worked on a fix with the embree team.

Can you implement Embree of 1.3?

2016-10-20, 15:39:33
Reply #20

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile

2016-10-20, 17:42:25
Reply #21

GabaCGStudio

Can you implement Embree of 1.3?

Why would you want that?

because:
1st - it's not Warranty for every newer version of softwares and hardwares that's better than oldies. like as windows vista vs. windows xp or Galaxy note 7 vs. others or Concorde plane vs. Airbus and Boeing !! :]
2nd - i believe Corona 1.3 had the best memory and resource management against of newbies.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-20, 17:53:54 by GabaCGStudio »

2016-10-20, 18:00:57
Reply #22

adamadam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did the Embree update get into the 1.5 hotfix or is it just in dailies?

2016-10-21, 08:44:27
Reply #23

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Corona 1.6 is "done" and now we are waiting for the release candidate to release. Any Day now it will be pushed with the 1.6 update.
I can't read
« Last Edit: 2016-10-21, 10:57:33 by SairesArt »

2016-10-21, 09:26:44
Reply #24

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
If I remember correctly, we've done a few modifications to the Embree version we are using in Corona, so it's not vanilla 2.11. We'll have to wait for Ondra as he's the one who's been digging in Embree code fixing few problems that we had.

2nd - i believe Corona 1.3 had the best memory and resource management against of newbies.

Well, there were a lot more changes between 1.3 and 1.5 (even 1.4) than just switching to newer Embree :) Actually I did few quick tests a while ago and 1.4 used less memory than 1.3 on the same scenes.

Corona 1.6 is "done" and now we are waiting for the release candidate to release. Any Day now it will be pushed with the 1.6 update.

The new reworked DR will require a lot of testing both internally and in the field. We also probably wouldn't want 1.6 to be "just new DR" and we'll add few more features on top of that (there are already some minor features, bugfixes and optimizations waiting for next daily). The current plan looks something like this:
  • First 1.6 daily probably sometime next week
  • 1.6 dailies until the end of the year
  • Few days off on Christmas not having to worry about fixing bugs in RCs
  • First RC in mid-January
  • 1.6 release at the end of January or in the first half of February
But we don't want (and can't) commit to any specific dates. Software development is not entirely deterministic process and there are always lots of unknowns.

One of our main goals for 1.6 is also to do lots of internal code refactoring and cleanup which will allow easier implementation of new features and optimizations. My personal pet project is trying to lower the memory consumption of frame buffer and I certainly hope to be able to finish that in time for the 1.6 release :)

2016-10-21, 09:30:09
Reply #25

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Good luck guys, keep up the Corona spirit!

2016-10-21, 09:32:44
Reply #26

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we'll add few more features on top of that

I just hope this will be one of the default presets included :D

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13401.0;attach=53127;image

2016-10-21, 10:05:47
Reply #27

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
to do lots of internal code refactoring and cleanup

Allways pleased to read that. Coding blindly on top of old existing code leads to no good (see Max...). Brave cuts are liberating.

My personal pet project is trying to lower the memory consumption of frame buffer and I certainly hope to be able to finish that in time for the 1.6 release :)

And this is the sweetest statement of all. ThankĀ“s for the information, makes struggling with ram issues more endurable meanwhile :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-10-21, 10:56:26
Reply #28

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
1.6 release at the end of January or in the first half of February
Ohh sry, I read bullcrap from the Changelog.
Changelog said RC and "building the final thing" and I interpreted as another minor release, since this is the way it was handled in previous releases, if I recall correctly. (Changelog continues for current version and is then released, new changelog thread starts with new version name)

2016-10-21, 11:47:08
Reply #29

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
never doubt any improvements they planned/'re doing, including the memory optimizations.
because Corona team is now already in super saiya mode and still getting stronger :D
cheers!!