Author Topic: Corona Scatter along the spline. Make it straight! vs FP  (Read 5953 times)

2019-11-18, 06:26:15

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
More and more often I notice that it is more convenient for me to use Corona scatter instead of Forest pack, it does not have such a messy interface and in most cases it does its job perfectly.
There is only one case left where I have to use Forest - scattering along the spline.

Let's say we have a curbstone and a complex spline with different Z-coordinates of the vertices (spline and box.jpg)

Let's create corona scatter and Forest and we can notice that the orientation of the boxes is slightly different. In the case of Forest, the boxes are oriented strictly upwards and in the case of Corona scatter, they are rotated along "local spline axis".
(scatters_Top_view_comparison.jpg and scatters_perespective_view_comparison.jpg)

We don’t have many controls to adjust the orientation of objects. In the case of Corona scatter it is "align to normal" and in the case of Forest pack it is "follow path X and Z" (Scatter along splines controls.jpg)

And as we can notice - changing these parameters does virtually the same thing, but this does not solve the problem because we lose the orientation of objects along other axes.
(Corona scatter align to normal 1.jpg and Forest follow path Z unchecked.jpg)

Can we just have an additional "make it straght!" checkbox that aligns objects like in a forest pack?

PS many thanks to the devs for the wonderful render engine and attention to user requests!

« Last Edit: 2019-11-18, 11:01:02 by marchik »

2019-11-19, 13:04:55
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Which Corona version are you using? It seems to be working fine here.
Can you send a simple scene demonstrating this?
I am sure our developers would be interested in this. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-11-19, 13:16:51
Reply #2

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Maru. I don't think this is what OP wanted. Try to think Curb-stones following a 3D-path (roadside) and see how you would do that. Just like OP I can't make it work.

Regards

2019-11-19, 16:47:31
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi Maru. I don't think this is what OP wanted. Try to think Curb-stones following a 3D-path (roadside) and see how you would do that. Just like OP I can't make it work.

Regards

What I mean is that my result looks pretty much like his Forest Pack result, and I am not sure how exactly to reproduce the Corona issue. Some a simple example/explanation will be appreciated.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-11-19, 16:57:00
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think you need to look at this image. This is desired behaviour and it seems it's not replicatable in Corona scatter.

I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-11-19, 20:15:11
Reply #5

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think you need to look at this image. This is desired behaviour and it seems it's not replicatable in Corona scatter.

sorry for incorrect explanation, romullus is right, this is exactly what i expect from corona scatter and cannot achieve

if we use complex splines, it is impossible to achieve an accurate distribution of objects, most often it concerns curb stones and stitches, probably the forest uses a different algorithm for aligning objects and I would like to see the same in Corona scatter)

and i think there is another way to achieve this - make the curve-controllable rotation around the spline axis, like scale, twist, etc in the standart max loft compound object
PS i use v5 ofc
« Last Edit: 2019-11-19, 20:28:12 by marchik »

2019-11-19, 20:47:53
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You can try path constraint + snapshot combo, it's not as flexible as Corona scatter, but at least it has no problems with keeping upright position.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-11-19, 21:57:45
Reply #7

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can try path constraint + snapshot combo, it's not as flexible as Corona scatter, but at least it has no problems with keeping upright position.
I can use Forest until the days when devs will improve corona scatter) np

2019-11-20, 08:49:19
Reply #8

mike288

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal 'Mike' Wirth
    • View Profile
Hi marchik, and could you please share the Forest Pack scene from the above screenshots with us? It would help us understand what exactly you need. Thank you.
Chaos Scatter developer | In case of crash, please send minidump | Private uploader: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2019-11-20, 11:29:27
Reply #9

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi marchik, and could you please share the Forest Pack scene from the above screenshots with us? It would help us understand what exactly you need. Thank you.
ok)

2019-11-20, 12:31:27
Reply #10

mike288

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal 'Mike' Wirth
    • View Profile
Thanks, we will take a look.
Chaos Scatter developer | In case of crash, please send minidump | Private uploader: https://corona-renderer.com/upload