Author Topic: Corona and Weighted Normals  (Read 1351 times)

2020-08-25, 08:10:52

Katashi666

• Users
    • View Profile
I use Weighted Normals for work and for fun
Is there a way to make friends Corona with Weighted Normals?
Objects warped when rendering
Comparison Renders of Corona and Vray
Corona - deformed
Vray - good
--
3ds max 2020
Corona 5 hotfix 2
« Last Edit: 2020-08-25, 08:15:08 by Katashi666 »

2020-08-25, 10:46:02
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hi,

Could you try to enable dev/debug panel in render setup and tweak shad w terminator parameters? If that won't help, i will move your topic to bug reporting board.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-03-02, 09:35:57
Reply #2

philipbonum

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I recently decided to try out weighted normals to save on the number of polys you need for a chamfered box look.
Everything looks fine in the viewport, but when I render with Corona I get a shading that is very different.
Testing the settings for Terminator Handling brings me closer to a usable result, but it's still not perfect.

I'm not sure I can expect an object with fewer polygons to render like one with a higher polygon count, but searching around and finding this thread that hints about V-Ray handling it with no issues(?), prompted me to post here to learn about alternatives or maybe bring it to the devs attention that there's still some work to be done on smoothing groups/normals that other rendering engines are seemingly better at out of the box.

I've attached an image with some tests, I don't have V-Ray to test with(Damn you 1 month trial), only FStorm and Octane
The tests are a bit crude, sorry.

It's not a problem messing around with shadow terminator settings - albeit not very artist friendly - but I'd like to get some more info on what it does, and if it might slow down the rendering.
For instance, why isn't it on 1 by default?

PS:
Sorry for reanimating this thread, but if I'm not mistaken you prefer it if it's about the very same topic?

2023-03-03, 22:11:05
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
To be honest, none of those examples look correct to me. Of course Corona with default terminator handling settings is the worst, but this is well known issue.

I'm not sure I can expect an object with fewer polygons to render like one with a higher polygon count, but searching around and finding this thread that hints about V-Ray handling it with no issues(?), prompted me to post here to learn about alternatives or maybe bring it to the devs attention that there's still some work to be done on smoothing groups/normals that other rendering engines are seemingly better at out of the box.

I don't think so, but it shouldn't be that bad for sure. I don't have V-ray either, but i can test with Arnold and see if it handles weighted normals better.

It's not a problem messing around with shadow terminator settings - albeit not very artist friendly - but I'd like to get some more info on what it does, and if it might slow down the rendering.
For instance, why isn't it on 1 by default?

Because 0 means that terminator handling is enabled and at its strongest - it works very well with average normals, but not with weighted normals. Until recently 3ds Max didn't have native solution for weighted normals and its usage in archviz community isn't very common, that's probably one of the reasons why nobody has complained about this issue in Corona. I hope it will change sooner rather than later and weighted normals support will be greatly improved.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-03-06, 17:24:11
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We have multiple user reports about this and it's logged as a bug.

(Internal ID=1029930656)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us