Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
That is not what I meant, there is nothing faulty with CPU. But that doesn't mean all software can utilize it in same way. How Embree can utilize the hardware depends on many aspects of software stack, from motherboard firmware to OS scheduler. If those things are written for retail SKU, tiny discrepancy can cause misutilization.

Years ago, one of such solutions was upgrading Visual Studio redistributable used for compiling. Just saying it isn't as easy as updating libraries often, though I do hope it is for this particular issue.
Perhaps not much else to do with left-over retail stock since most systems are built as all-in-one solutions. There might also be quite less interest in them compared to sourcing any available GPU stock.
I hope solution for your problem is found, but I will like to stress that if in some case you have non-retail stepping (ES/QS/etc..), the issue can be with on-chip memory controller which creates certain spiral of firmware/OS issues that can manifest under certain workloads (whether it's scheduler issues, CPU groups, NUMA nodes, etc..).

So if Corona team received fully retail unit (which in 2024 means all-in-one system for most Epyc stuff), they might not be able to replicate your issue.

It's bit risky proposition to build custom multi-CPU servers today, too many variables with zero support. Super hard to investigate and find what can be culprit.

Not saying that's the case, just be prepared.

Nice to know that Corona devs got the machine though.

Hi we have a single retail Epyc 9754 (so no Numa nodes), we ruled out that the processor (and the whole system) is the culprit:

the slow geometry phase is caused by a particular step 'Embree scene calculation'.

The epyc is in the calculation of the 'Embree scene building' step very slow, 10x slower than for example a ryzen 5900x (12 cores)!

So to rule out that the Epyc cpu is slower when it comes to Embree calculation we want to test this slow Embree scene calculation and we tested it with Embree benchmarked software : phoronix-test-suite benchmark embree, the result was :

AMD Epyc 9754                              : 127 frames/sec

Compared to

AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 7995WX  : 116 frames/sec

Conclusion the Epyc is a bit faster in Embree calculations compared to a 7995WX (96 cores) so our system is not the issue, could it be the Embree version inside corona ?( Corona using old embree version?)Intel Embree is currently at version 4.3 do you know what version currently is used in Corona 11.1?

Gallery / Re: vis.juju renderings
« Last post by vis.juju on Today at 13:21:12 »
Outstanding renderings! I love the shaders more than the reference. Nice skills, very inspiring :))

Wow, thanks a lot! This was quite challenging

I was waiting for the "I need moar sleep" comment when you broke then news :) We just got a dog recently and while it is clearly not the same as having a child boy did I not sleep for a week or two. Still recovering lol.

Yeah the CPUs I meant are the Epyc ones and lately we are really putting in a lot of focus on making sure the performance with these system is as it should be.

Still, I don't quite understand why the top of the line chips seem to be discounted by roughly 50% at most stores I'm looking at. Great time to buy though lol.

As for your 7980x, dang, that looks sweet! I'm currently contemplating getting one so all your feedback here is super duper useful. Thank you!
Gallery / Re: The Cat
« Last post by romullus on Today at 12:32:50 »
Unfortunately i can't help you, i don't use cryptomatte, but i think this should not happen. Maybe try to post a new topic in i need help board, or leave a message in this topic and someone more knowledgeable should help you to solve this issue.
@Jpjapers by saying "more complex material graphs in viewport", what exactly do you mean? What would you like to be added?
Hey Maru and thanks for your suggestion :) My aim is to actually block the light casted by the sky on the tree leaves (so they appear less translucent), without the plane casting any shadows to the foreground. I hope I managed to better explain myself here, it's tricky this one :')
I'll check your response on the other post and try it out, much appreciated!

"Blocking the light cast by the sky on the tree leaves" sounds exactly the same as "casting shadow" to me. Sorry, but I don't think there is any other solution.
Adjusting the leaf material, as dj_buckley suggested, sounds like an easier solution.
[Max] I need help! / Re: Black rectangles in saved images
« Last post by maru on Today at 11:27:41 »
Hi guys,

I have been experiencing the same issue for a while. It happened randomly. In the render frame everything is OK but when the render is saved, it has a random sized black rectangle area. It doesn't happen if I save the render as CXR, so I had to save CXR and use copy/paste to photoshop and save the image. I just installed the new hotfix 2, let's see if it solved the issue.

Regards

This should be solved in V11 Hotfix2. If it's still happening there, please contact us at https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
[Max] Corona Goodies - User Contributions / Re: AgX in Corona
« Last post by piotrus3333 on Today at 11:24:12 »
More of AgX by Troy Sobotka - this time his Resolve version of it (quite different) married with a film look from Arri:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=41947.msg223544#msg223544

note: it does require a string option to turn off VFB's sRGB view lut so might be a bit more cumbersome to use.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10