Author Topic: Tutorial: Stereoscopic panorama with Corona + Cardboard  (Read 136911 times)

2016-02-03, 11:33:10
Reply #75

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If it works - please send me any VR picture that I can see in Gear VR - so I will see how it is looks like. And yeah - also please explain where I have to put image to see it in Gear VR.

Thanks!

Roman
I don't know about Gear VR, I don't have access to it. Does it use some native app, or can you run anything on it?
The instructions on creating stereoscopic panoramas for Google Cardboard are in this thread. Some sample images, too. I might try rendering some additional shots, but this is very time-consuming.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-02-03, 16:47:51
Reply #76

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't know about Gear VR, I don't have access to it. Does it use some native app, or can you run anything on it?
The instructions on creating stereoscopic panoramas for Google Cardboard are in this thread. Some sample images, too. I might try rendering some additional shots, but this is very time-consuming.

Maru,

Well, I think you have to find a chance to take a look what is Gear VR means. Because it is developed on Oculus platform.
And Google Cardboard at least at this point looks like a joke for me.

Actually, the problem is that Gear VR works only with Samsung smartphones, which cost $500+
And you need to connect that smartphone with glasses via mini USB port.
Plus there is a specific app "360 Photo". To see your VR images - you need to put them in a specific folder and app will show it to you.
That is how it works.

And because I have iPhone - I can only buy the additional phone for these glasses which is stupid.
But I'm even okay with that. All I need is to get somehow that stereo cube map in Corona - so I will not be in need of VRay.

Jakub is saying he is working on some app. But still, even if that app will be made for Iphone - I will not be able to connect my phone with Google Cardboard. Maybe that is the key?

Roman

2016-02-03, 22:13:54
Reply #77

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey again Romanbuha and Maru,

I was AFK for a few days so I couldn't answer as fast as usually.

First of all, Samsung Gear VR support will be available in our app, no problem with that.

Secondly, you can download Google Cardboard App to your iPhone. Then you use ithis app to scan QR code from your Cardboard (this qr code + Google Cardboard App + you phone version = data required for proper image distortion, all done automatically just by scanning the code). By doing this you'll be able to "connect" your iPhone to Cardboard in terms of proper image rendering and distortion. iPhone's accelerometers seem to work better than Samsung's so the experience is beetween normal Samsung phone with cardboard and S6+GearVR.

Least but not least - as Maru said, you can just install a fresh Corona's daily build and use a little tutorial I wrote earlier in this thread to render proper Stereoscopic 360 image with Corona. If you want some help feel free to ask :)

2016-02-04, 03:33:30
Reply #78

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First of all, Samsung Gear VR support will be available in our app, no problem with that.

Hi Jakub,
This is great! I look forward to test it.

Secondly, you can download Google Cardboard App to your iPhone. Then you use ithis app to scan QR code from your Cardboard (this qr code + Google Cardboard App + you phone version = data required for proper image distortion, all done automatically just by scanning the code). By doing this you'll be able to "connect" your iPhone to Cardboard in terms of proper image rendering and distortion. iPhone's accelerometers seem to work better than Samsung's so the experience is beetween normal Samsung phone with cardboard and S6+GearVR.

I did it at the same day when I got my Google Cardboard. I scanned QR code on my View-Master. But I wasn't happy about the quality of these images that I saw in standard Google Cardboard app.

Least but not least - as Maru said, you can just install a fresh Corona's daily build and use a little tutorial I wrote earlier in this thread to render proper Stereoscopic 360 image with Corona. If you want some help feel free to ask :)

I have to do it - just need to find time. But actually you already sent us your test image. I mean this one:
http://www.go-stereo.com/viewer.html?img=corona/CRN001%20360%20salon%2003.jpg
And I have tested it on my phone and the quality was not like in VR still.
So I'm not sure if I can do better image.

Anyway, what I understood is that you are working on your app and we will just wait until you will release it, right?

Thanks,

Roman

2016-02-04, 10:52:01
Reply #79

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-02-04, 22:20:23
Reply #80

mathos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great tutorial thanks - very helpful. I have a question though - not entirely about corona but I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with virtual tour software? Is there anything better than krpano? Im planning to buy a license but wanted to check if there is not anything better/cheaper before I do so.

Also what is the usual resolution you render for a decent quality pano ? I tried 14000x7000 px but the ram went up to 64gb and some of dr blades started to fail - going down to 12k helped but still the memmory consuption is close to 60gb - is that normal? On 5000px the scene takes around 20gb ram.

Thanks

2016-02-05, 11:50:50
Reply #81

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

2016-02-10, 19:07:57
Reply #82

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
About rendering super high res pictures and ram - you could try rendering strips: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-0A49D59A-313C-438F-9698-71C1263AD432-htm.html

Maru, does Corona support that? I've run into some RAM problems before rendering 8000x4000 images. That would be really helpful.

2016-02-11, 13:28:48
Reply #83

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yes, it should work with Corona.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-02-12, 11:39:17
Reply #84

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wait for the new post on official Corona blog for some news on the topic and app to view the files! :)

2016-02-12, 18:19:51
Reply #85

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Can't wait 88qba88. Sounds very promising!

In the mean time, I tried to improve the simple web viewer. 88qba88 you were absolutely right that it lacked a lot of important features.

So I found the splendid webVR boilerplate.
webvr-boilerplate.https://github.com/borismus/webvr-boilerplate
This is build on the THREE.js (like my earlier simple viewer) and uses the mozilla webVR Api
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebVR_API

This web viewer now supports:

Cardboard VR
Normal Pano style viewing on mobile, Desktop and Oculus Rift (last not tested yet by myself)

HOW TO USE IT:

- put your Corona Stereoscopic images on your google drive, onedrive, iphone photostream, Android documents etc.
- For best performance make sure your images are 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 or ...
- if you want to test it, I attached a 4k stereoscopic render of the Corona benchmark (not so many passes, sorry) save it to your mobile (documents or photostream) or upload it to your favorite cloud drive.
- Make sure you have the an app for viewing the file on you mobile.
- I installed the onedrive app on my iPhone and placed the image in a folder. Of course, google drive or dropbox will do fine.

- go to http://www.go-stereo.com/

- press the icon and choose your file (see the attached iPhone screenshot).

- and there you go.

Have fun!

BTW the Go Stereo logo is there for my clients. You can use it for free of course.
I'll upload the source code if anyone is interested.

THINGS TO DO (but maybe not if 88qba88's app works better :) ):

chrome on iPhone not a fully fullscreen. Safari works.

only tested it myself on a Samsung s5, iphone5, iphone6+. I will test it on more models.

adjustments/fine tuning interface for more FOV, eye distance, cardboard characteristics, etc.

more mobile and viewer profiles.
for now iPhone 5, 6 and 6+, Samsung s3, s4, s5 and s6 and Nexus 5
cardboard viewer v1 and v2
are included

interface to add flying URL links to different VR images so you can create a virtual tour.

a lot of add error trapping

the interface is a bit shacky so I want to improve that as well.

quote from webvr-boilerplate/github README:

Features:

Enter and exit VR mode (in WebVR and WebVR polyfill compatible environments).
Immersive fullscreen, orientation locking and sleep prevention.
Distortion correction, enabled in iOS only.
High quality head tracking with motion prediction thanks to webvr-polyfill.

Bugs and known issues:

Proper distortion correction for Android. This requires knowing physical locations of lenses, which requires knowing device's DPI, which is hard in general. It's easier in iOS because there are relatively few iPhone models.
Wake lock for Android currently relies on a hack in which a hidden video is played on repeat in the background. This causes big WebGL performance issues, so has been disabled. This will be resolved when the official wakelock API lands: http://crbug.com/257511

2016-02-13, 03:04:40
Reply #86

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow!

Rambambulli! This is finally the best experience that I had since I was using Samsung Gear VR!
I tested your image on my iPhone 6 and View-Master Google Cardboard and I have to say it is really good result!
Even if it is just a test render and not enough of passes. But it is just great!

Waiting for app, Jakub! :)

Thanks again,

Roman 
« Last Edit: 2016-02-13, 06:03:57 by romanbuha »

2016-02-13, 06:02:02
Reply #87

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, I have tested this image on both phones and now can say there is a difference.
There are actually pros and cons on both smartphones.

iPhone 6
+ Very smooth (nice) turn around
- Too big (wrong) scale; feels like all the objects are a little too close that it needs to be

iPhone 6 Plus
+ Perfect scale! Exactly how it needs to be!
-  Turn around is not smooth enough; There is a kind of distortion which make looking not comfortable
_________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, thank you very much for your test image! And looking forward for the news about VR in Corona!

Roman

2016-02-13, 08:57:45
Reply #88

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
woow rambambulli that sounds promising. Especially the part of the Vtour.

2016-02-22, 10:49:29
Reply #89

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi rambambulli. Tried to use "go-stereo" on a desktop with Oculus Rift, but cant find a way to make it work. The browser used is Mozilla Firefox Nightly Build, and I've got Oculus working with other apps/sites, but not "go-stereo,com". Besides that "go-stereo" wont let me access my dropbox - telling me that I can't use that location - so I'm forced to load it from the HD.

Did you find a way to use Oculus on a desktop with go-stereo? Do you have an idea about what I might be doing wrong?