Author Topic: Tutorial: Stereoscopic panorama with Corona + Cardboard  (Read 138144 times)

2016-01-14, 13:27:39
Reply #45

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Aha. Much obliged.... And I had to read better. Maru allready mentioned it.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-14, 13:51:36 by vhector »

2016-01-15, 14:48:34
Reply #46

DanUh

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi!
I did some first tests regarding stereo panoramas and run into small problems. Firstly, I don't seem to get different results when altering eye separation; secondly objects rather close to the camera (approx. 1.6m) just won't work (see the attached images...). As far as I understand the available settings, corona is using an either converged or parallel setup, may it be possible and/ or a solution to my second problem to implement a third "off-axis" mode as discribed here: http://elevr.com/cg-vr-1/ ?
My settings (Dailybuild Jan 10 2016):
Eye separation: 0.063m
Eye front offset: 0.08m
converge eyes unticked

Best regards
Daniel

2016-01-15, 15:19:20
Reply #47

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you tried to leave front offset to 0.00 and set converge to the distance of the sculpture (or better 30% further. Say the sculpture is 2 meter from your camera set converge to 2.5 - 3m)?
The works for me.
In large interior spaces you have to choose where you want to focus (converge) on. If you don't focus you stare into oblivion and every nearby gets really unsharp. You get the feeling there is a left and a right image of the sculpture. Like in your tests.

(btw tested you images on my cardboard and the concrete space is really 3d so it must be your converge point.)

2016-01-15, 15:34:13
Reply #48

DanUh

• Users
    • View Profile
I dont quite get what front offset is exactly for? I just recognized in this particular render I set converge to 100m...I'll try what you suggested and report back. Thank you anyway!

EDIT: The sculpture is approx. 1.6m away, so I set converge to 2.0m. Looking at the statue now works better, but keystoning is quite strong . As stated in the previously linked article the "off-axis" camera rig would be an interesting try I think, exactly for interiors not being that huge...
« Last Edit: 2016-01-15, 16:07:13 by DanUh »

2016-01-15, 16:11:09
Reply #49

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For small spaces I noticed when you change your unit setup it can help.

2016-01-18, 13:19:22
Reply #50

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hej,

I'm using Corona 1.4 from 2016-01-13. My 3dsMax units are set to centimeters and I've noticed that changing Eye Separation parameter has no effect on final image. One more thing I've noticed is that it looks like the real distance is much smaller, as 3d is barely visible (left and right image look almost the same).

I also did a test to check if I'm right:

I've made a VR camera:
Spherical ON
Spherical VR mod ON
Eye Separation 6,3cm
Eye front offset: 0,0cm
Converge Eyes OFF

In front of the camera (2 cm away from the camera) is a small box (1x1x1cm). It's grey, but it's left side is blue and right side is red). From what I know Eye separation in Corona is IPD (inter pupilary distance) in real world. So it means that there are 2 cameras, 6,3 cm away from each other. It means I should be able to see left (blue) side of my box with left camera and right side (red one) with right camera.

Changing Eye separation has no change at all.

Changing Eye front offset has some really strange effects.
For example setting front eye offset to -5 creates 2 boxes (still same scene).

Eye separation is THE MOST CRUCIAL thing in 3d, as it defines the scale of scene and distance of objects.

What do you think guys?

2016-01-18, 14:27:19
Reply #51

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tests Qba, I will make a bug report out of it.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-01-18, 14:56:44
Reply #52

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Maru!

I'm also preparing an App for Apple and Android phones that allows you to see your VR renders with Google Cardboard.
It will be possible to load *.jpg files straight from Corona and view it properly without any postroduction, cropping etc. Just load your VR Render that has 1 to 1 ratio and see it in 3d around you!:)

If you're interested just let me know.

Good luck and thanks again! :)

2016-01-18, 15:38:42
Reply #53

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sure we are interested! Someone will contact you [soon].
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-01-19, 09:09:35
Reply #54

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Maru! Everything works properly after yesterdays update! :)

2016-01-19, 09:22:18
Reply #55

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Amazing work guys.  Will be testing this again soon.

Cheers.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro

2016-01-19, 09:53:03
Reply #56

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
new daily should fix the problems with stereoscopic camera
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-01-21, 15:14:06
Reply #57

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Ondra and Co, would it be possible for you guys to do a very quick write-up explaining exactly what the various VRmod controls are for and some real-world usage examples, e.g. for a typical interior space, an exterior space, a space with something very close to the camera etc.

We're struggling to get to grips with the convergence and offset options.

Cheers,
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro

2016-01-21, 15:24:55
Reply #58

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everybody!

Thanks a lot for your hard work on VR rendering function.

Just one question - can anybody tell when (approximately) we can expect to get simple functionality of getting VR images that can be used for Gear VR glasses?

I mean if that can be possible like in V-Ray renderer.

Thank you Corona Team!

Roman

2016-01-22, 08:42:55
Reply #59

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is my latest test render with the newest build. 3d effect in Google Cardboard is now superb (just right, not too big, not to small).

I'm using standard eye separation (6,3cm) which in most cases corresponds with real life IPD. (To make 3d effect more visible and still believable you can make it bigger, to about 65mm) This setting sets the scale of a scene.
Smaller Eye distance makes everything look bigger than in real life, making it bigger makes you feel like an ant in a huge room:)

Another thing is Eye Front Separation - I'm not sure about this but I believe it is digital version of "eye to nect" distance. You never move your head with axis in the middle of your eyes, it's usually around 8cm away from your eyes, so i set it to 8cm.

Converge eyes - this is important to make you feel comfortable and avoid "strange feeling in your stomach".
In real world when you look on objects that are close to you, you have to cross your eyes a little and this is what you're trying to replicate in VR.
In general I set it to about 120% of a distance to the most important part of your image. In an image I attach here it was set to 120% of a distance from camera to the wall behind a TV.

I'm not sure I'm 100% right, but the setting I use seem to work very well:)

I hope it helps!
« Last Edit: 2016-01-22, 08:48:42 by 88qba88 »