Author Topic: Please Help! Another 2k$ Workstation  (Read 1057 times)

2018-11-14, 21:43:51

Hung Nguyen

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi everybody, i'm from Vietnam so sorry about my (poor) English.

I'm work as a freelancer and got to build a new computer for upcoming big project. My existing computer is pretty weak now, a Xeon E5 1231V3 and 32Gb DDR3 and a ancient GTX 750TI. A Lenovo Thinkpad P51 for mobile workstation. Usually i used Distributed Render with 2 computer to reduced the render times.

I'm sill manage to work fine by strict manage poly and scene, split screen to avoid too much light, object if needed, i try to not surpass 10 million poly in one scene. And render overnight when i'm going to sleep, but it's quite restrict for me now in both scene poly, modifier and render time, since 6,7 image can take a full day to render.

So sum up my need for a new computer :
- Good performance in viewport with big scene, a lot of object and light, i don't do animation, fluid simulation.. just detail interior and maybe need some exterior with plant, tree.
- Render faster than my current 4 core 8 thread :)

i have 2 proposal from my local workstation builder :
Main : Super Micro X9DRLN-4F (345$)
CPU : Dual E5-2697 V2 RETAIL (Total 690$)
RAM : 64GB DDR3 (260$)
VGA : EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (430$)
All is Used
other part like SDD,HDD, Fan,case.. is new and total is about 2k$ for a complete case

And a slightly cheaper price build, about 400-500$ with :
Main : GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO (170$)
CPU : AMD RYZEN 7 2700X (387$)
RAM : 32GB (2x16GB DDR4 Bus 2666 MHz - 430$)
VGA : GTX 1070 (450$)
This is all new, so it's hard to get any way around that here in Vietnam.

So in my knowledge, and pls correct me if i'm wrong, the Xeon build is more suit for render node,and less optimal for scenes that complex, maybe causing viewport lag since it's slower in clock rate. The second build is faster for modeling and working overall but clearly the Xeon beat Ryzen in render.

I want to ask you guys advice on which build is better ?, since i also need a responsive computer to work with about 90% times and still need a fast computer to render. I'm more learn toward the Xeon build because the faster render, but did i sacrifice too much Max performance in viewport and ability to work on big scene?
i'm clearly understand the benefit of a separate build for Workstation and Render node but at this time i only can afford only one.
 I think the hybrid build is ideas for me, something like a Theadripper 1950x, high clock speeds and enough of cores, but in Vietnam it's very hard too find any 1950X Used, actually none. And new price about 1200$ + a x399 Main is about 550$, is eat up all the budget.

What do you guys thing? or can you suggest a difference build with better modeling/render performance ratio?
Thank you very much!!