Author Topic: 4U Render node  (Read 3864 times)

2017-06-22, 08:37:17

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
I am thinking to invest to 4U Xeon E7 system, but wanted to check if there will be some problems with it running 3ds max under Windows Server since its not officially supported on Autodesk website. Any info on this would be very welcome!

Thanks,
Hrvoje

2017-06-22, 16:44:02
Reply #1

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
I don't have any answer to your question unfortunately, but I'm still curious enough to ask. Why would you want to build an E7 system? Looking at the Intel recommended prices, E7s are around twice as expensive as comparable E5s, so it may be actually cheaper to build two E5 systems with the same number of cores.

2017-06-22, 18:08:53
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Looking at the Intel recommended prices

Well there's your problem ;- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-06-22, 18:51:08
Reply #3

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
:)
Any info on the subject?

2017-06-23, 13:39:40
Reply #4

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My only advice when dealing with servers is know how incredibly loud they are. I didn't appreciate this before we got ours and its a bit of a regret.

2017-06-23, 16:56:24
Reply #5

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Loud psu? You got it to run 3dsmax under W Server?

2017-06-24, 10:45:30
Reply #6

Bzuco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • personal web page
Some performance comparison from Linus
Also playing stupid games on server 2016 is working :) 

Some old topis from autodesk:
"3ds max crashes because of the mental ray renderer. remove the plugin from loading and max will start up. its due to mental ray cannot see more than 16 threads? (physical or virtual via hyper-threading"

"There is aknown issue with the Hair and Fur plugin that is limited to 16 cores!

Autodesk are aware and are looking at it. In the meantime you may want to remove the hair and fur plugin files so it can run!

Paul"

Last I was using max on some server core architecture was windows XP 64bit.
You can download and try some MSDN version of windows server or if you have original and install max and check if it run OK.

Here in overview section is a table which .net Framework is included in which version of windows. You will need it to run all autodesk programs....also max installation contains all necessary stufs to run their products, so hopefully you will run max without issues. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework_version_history

2017-06-26, 14:41:33
Reply #7

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Got it, so basically it should work. All ordered, I will get back to this subjects once its all up and running.

Thanks all!