Author Topic: Advice on new workstation build - Ryzen based  (Read 19457 times)

2017-03-31, 11:34:59

Energyzer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi.

I'm looking to get a new workstation to replace my late 2013 iMac, so this is what i'm thinking about:

I have a few questions about the build:
1- RAM: would it be enough for up to 20M polys scenes? And shall i get 16GBx1 or 8GBx2? Is the speed really relevant for what we do or can i get a lower clock RAM?
2- GPU: is the 1060 enough?

Feel free to give me your opinions!

Thanks,
T.

2017-03-31, 13:12:06
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi,

few quick notes:

-Don't settle for 256 gb system drive. It's barely enough for Windows+ 3dsMax + Photoshop, esp. if both are used at same time, and both create some cache. (Unless you have 128gb of ram and can afford disabling it totally).
 512gb 850 Evo is such a small price increase it's absolutely worth it.

- 16gb memory will not cut it, and 32 is already so/so :- ) Depends on your needs. But consider 32 the bare minimum. Because of future upgradibility, take it in 16gb modules if possible.

- Memory frequency doesn't matter at all. All the "gamers" on internet wasting their money, fretting about getting quad-channel and overclocked 3800Mhz frequency are simply....ignorant.
  Alway get more memory, doesn't matter what kind. Buy the cheapest.

- Avoid Seagate Barracuda ;- ) You can get lucky and will get good one, but if the global rma rates on this drive just over-shadow the others, why risk it ? Just get any WD alternative you fancy.

- GTX 1060 is absolutely capable. In fact, unless you plan gpu-rendering, or playing 4k games, it's total beast :- ) Yes it's middle class, but middle class of 2016/2017.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-03-31, 16:13:20
Reply #2

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mostly agree with Juraj, have just a few observations to add.

Maybe consider getting the 1700 without X. They all seem to be very close when overclocked. You'll probably get to 3.8GHz with normal voltage, and maybe to 3.9-4GHz if lucky.
The 1700 comes with a box cooler, the X cpus don't. You have a very basic cooler listed, so this way you can either put that money to a better one for the 1700, or just get more ram/ssd and switch the cooler later.
Definitely get 16Gb modules, even if it's just one for starters.

2017-03-31, 16:14:15
Reply #3

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I agree with Juraj on pretty much everything there. I would however add that maybe you should consider an alternative in cooling if you maybe end up overclocking the thing - not that you can by a whole lot, the early chips seem pretty much pushed to the limit by default so far but still :)

PS: Jann beat me to it, well done Sir!
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-03-31, 17:08:06
Reply #4

Energyzer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.

Changed the build to fit what Juraj said: 32GB 2400Ghz RAM (16x2) + bigger SSD.

About the CPU, that's something i haven't really tought about, i tend to go for the middle option when i'm not too sure. In this case after some reading it seems 1700 is pretty much the same as the others when overclocked. Check this article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-amd-ryzen-7-1700-1700x-vs-1800x-review

I'm not an overclocker, haven't done it before. So on 1700, would it be easy to do it without XFR? I guess i could only go as high as TurboCore lets me right (3,7Ghz)?
https://www.techpowerup.com/230609/amd-ryzen-xfr-frequencies-revealed

What do you think about this Juraj? 1700 or 1700x?

Thanks again,
T.

2017-03-31, 18:31:22
Reply #5

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Maybe consider getting the 1700 without X. They all seem to be very close when overclocked.

They are almost certainly all the exactly same chip. So unless the lower model has any features or cores disabled, it should be exactly the same as the higher model when overclocked to the same frequency. But anyway overclocking is always a gamble. You may be unlucky and get a sample that doesn't overlock well.

About the CPU, that's something i haven't really tought about, i tend to go for the middle option when i'm not too sure.

Well, for CPU rendering you obviously want the most powerful CPU you can get your hands on :)

You can see our benchmark to compare different Ryzen models, some of them overclocked - https://corona-renderer.com/benchmark/?cpu-type=ryzen&submit=Search

2017-03-31, 18:34:23
Reply #6

raulmontiel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there, as juraj said, i also sugest you to buy the 1700 instead, its very easy to overclock it, just a few clicks and voilá, you get the power of a 1800x.
but theres something i dont agree; i have seen some tests where you get better performance using higher speed ram (3000-3200mhz or even more), theres an exlplanation based on how the zen architecture works (which i dont remeber exactly, so better google it).. and this apply to multithreaded aplications and not only to get higher fps while gaming.

2017-03-31, 21:54:29
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Honestly, I avoided commenting on the CPU because I just didn't read much about the overclocking potential between 1700/1700X/1800X :- )

Absolutely agree that both 1700/1700X are much better deal, but if there still some better silicon lottery towards 1700X I dunno. Are there already some comprehensive stats ? But yes, if budget is most important, going for pure (non-X)1700 is obvious choice.

but theres something i dont agree; i have seen some tests where you get better performance using higher speed ram (3000-3200mhz or even more), theres an exlplanation based on how the zen architecture works (which i dont remeber exactly, so better google it).. and this apply to multithreaded aplications and not only to get higher fps while gaming.

I know what you mean, the non-monolithic design of cpu blocks (4+4 cores), and memory speed influencing the speed of the 'infinity-fabric' bridge.
I don't think this affects multi-threaded performance, but maybe I should search more benchmarks.

OK :- ) I thus changes the position to "cheapest from mid-to-high clocked memory" if it proves to affect real-performance, and not only 1920x1080 Ashes of Singularity benchmarks :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2017-03-31, 22:26:47
Reply #8

Energyzer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So, changing from 1700x to 1700+better cooler.

I read about that higher speed RAM thing, but it seems to only affect single threaded performance, i.e., gamers mostly. So, is 3000Mhz enough? Guess so, higher than that becomes a bit prohibitive price wise.

2017-03-31, 23:25:42
Reply #9

Energyzer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_7_1700_cpu_review/1

This made me think about serious OC. If you guys have some wisdom on this matter please share it!
Might need to spend some time researching for what is best in terms of coolers and if i should go for water cooling (not thinking of getting over 4Ghz tho).

2017-03-31, 23:57:24
Reply #10

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Keep in mind that overclocking by itself is going to reduce the CPU life span. Sure, a slightly higher voltage shouldn't be a problem but I think AMD themselves said going over 1.35 (or was it 1.4?)V could have a noticeable effect on the life span.

So in that sense, OCing for a 24/7 render machine is different that OCing for a gaming computer.

I really don't want to discourage you but at the same time I'd hate to see you take a CPU and overvolt by a significant margin and then be faced with a dead CPU in a few years. That being said, most Ryzens should hit the ~4ghz mark with relative easy. Could be wrong though :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-04-01, 01:43:09
Reply #11

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
here's a short... 3 weeks later

2017-04-01, 12:31:20
Reply #12

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I thought the majority would have been reading the following interesting article.

http://www.evermotion.org/articles/show/10618/is-ryzen-good-for-rendering-workstations-

At the bottom of this review, there is a comparison of 2133Mhz vs. 2666Mhz and it makes a suprising difference. btw. he uses corona :-)

2017-04-01, 13:01:22
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
People read Evermotion :- O ?

But that is indeed surprising. Would be cool to see this benched with even higher memory clocks to see how that scales (still doubt it would continue linearly).

I think Hrvoje already posted that machine here :- )

2017-04-01, 13:15:09
Reply #14

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok ok,

...I thought the majority would have been reading the following interesting article.

https://chopmeister.xyz/2017/03/can-ryzen-walk-the-workstation-walk.html/4

better?!