Author Topic: New color picker (or CoronaColor) sRGB check-box incorrect  (Read 2911 times)

2016-10-22, 00:36:56

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
See attached example inside CoronaColor.

If the sRGB is checked, CoronaColor reports the value as linear (during RC candidates, it was linear check-box).

Secondly, in either case, the "Value" is always in sRGB. Is this by design ? It's bad name in such case. And exact linear value has to by typed into R/G/B values instead.

Funny enough, it matches if I check "values are in linear space" check-box in CoronaColor.

So what's happening ? Is new picker wrong ? is CoronaColor wrong ? It's behaving very confusingly.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-22, 00:42:19 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-10-26, 11:00:57
Reply #1

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio

2016-11-10, 15:51:53
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hi,
I looked at the problem and it is caused by unchecked "input values are in linear color space" (which is checked by default). This checkbox is pre-coronaImrpovedPicker and does the same thing as sRGB checkbox in the color picker (but inverted). Since both do the same thing, they clash together when both are used. You should reset it to defaults to get expected results.

We talked about the situation and we will try to solve the confusion about sRGB/linear spaces by:
- A writeup "what is this and why should we care?" - done: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,13833
- adding a tooltip to sRGB checkbox in color picker
- replacing "input values are in linear color space" with either sRGB checkbox to be consistent with color picker, or replacing both with linear vs. sRGB radio with proper tooltips
- Disabling "input values are in linear color space" or equivalent control in CoronaColor map when "Solid color:" is used and Corona Improved picker is used, since it is redundant in that case.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)