Author Topic: "Inside Volume" broken in Volume material  (Read 3564 times)

2020-01-20, 01:13:16

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The "Inside Volume" does not work anymore in V5 Hotfix 1/2.
In V4 Hotfix 1 it was still working. It also worked in the dailies before V5 release (checked it with a V5 daily from Sept. 20 which I had in a C4D installation), I don't have V5 Release (before hotfix 1) installed anywhere anymore to check if the bug came with the first hotfix only.

Win 10, Corona V5 Hotfix 2, C4D R21
« Last Edit: 2020-01-20, 01:18:18 by Cinemike »

2020-01-20, 18:17:14
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi!

So (as you know from direct discussion) we've looked into this - mapping for the Noise needs to be some 3D, such as Object or World. The noise here is set to Texture, which "uses World but then applies the projection from the material tag", and the mat tag projections are all 2D projections rather than 3D.

The solution is to swap the Noise shaders to World or Object.

From what we can see, it should never have worked in Texture mode in earlier versions of Corona (looks like the "then applies the projection from the material tag" was not being done, leaving it as Object space) - which means the current version is working as intended, even if earlier versions did not :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-01-20, 20:50:51
Reply #2

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you again for your explanation and solution to my issue!

2020-01-20, 20:59:32
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Most welcome!

2020-01-21, 17:30:36
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Some more info from the devs, that means this is still an open bug - so, while Texture space is described as modifying the Object space using the Material Tag, it doesn't actually "flatten" it to the UV space (as defined in the "Tag" section), but uses the still-3D Coordinates section from the Mat Tag to manipulate the noise (in 3D). That means it should stay a valid input for "Inside Mode", and it was the earlier 4 hf 1 that was correct, and the latest releases that have somehow lost the ability to use Texture mode.

We will investigate further! Meantime, swapping to use Object mode (and avoiding using the Coordinates adjustments in the material tag, which will have no effect in Object mode) will provide a workaround.

(Internal ID=448560107)
« Last Edit: 2020-01-21, 17:48:27 by TomG »

2020-07-26, 14:52:05
Reply #5

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi TomG
Is this logged for 3ds max? Don't want to create new topics if its logged, for max in VolumeMtl with Inside Volume mode and texture (procedural maps works though) in slots leads to crash

2020-07-27, 13:40:00
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi! I'm not aware of it being logged as causing a crash in either Max or C4D, just logged as "not working". I'd set up a report with details of the crash, an example scene if possible, and reference this thread (or the case number listed in this thread at least, 448560107) in case it proves to be related. Cheers! EDIT oh and  minidump of course, since it's a crash :)