Author Topic: Assign 2 materials to one object (alpha mask)  (Read 14493 times)

2017-02-13, 22:03:19

reublack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hey,

i´m new to corona renderer. i want to assign 2 materials to 1 obj in c4d.
the first material is projected via uvw mapping. the second material should be an alpha material to add some typography on the first material. (therefore i need to project it via spherecial mapping for example, rotate and place it in the right way)
https://www.pic-upload.de/view-32679032/Bildschirmfoto2017-02-13um21.49.45.png.html

the problem is, i can´t see the second material displayed in the preview to arrange the alpha masked material. the second problem: the first texture dissapears after rendering...

any ideas, anyone?

thx alot!

2017-02-14, 02:59:12
Reply #1

BatRM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It seems that it is not possible to stack materials yet with corona for c4d.
What i'm doing is copy pasting the face i want to add the decal with the split function.
My base material goes on the object, and the decal material with alpha on the splited face.

2017-02-14, 12:42:09
Reply #2

reublack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hey,

thanks for your reply. sad that "stacking" doesn´t work.
I don´t get, what you mean. is the split function the same like blending? For your decals you add an alpha image in the opacity channel?
How do you arrange the alphas on the object.

i want to achieve something like this:
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170214/j4sj2s3t.png
Talking about the graphic element on the skull. How can i arrange it in C4D. When i use the physical render i stack the second material and rotate it by selecting texture mode and choose frontal mapping for example....

Sorry for the questions. I´am completly new to corona :/

Thanks for your advise.

Best regards

2017-02-14, 14:56:18
Reply #3

Matej Ovsenek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys.

Not the same stacking in corona as in cinema 4d physical.

You need to use Coronas Layered material,

Apply the base material to the base slot (skull material in you example) and the overlaying material (graphics) to slot 1 of the Layered material. Use the mask on node 1 to show the overlaying material. Apply layer material to you object.

edit:

just read your post again, you need decals, wouldn't know how to do that without unwrapping... :D

« Last Edit: 2017-02-14, 15:05:25 by Matej Ovsenek »
----------------------------------------------
matej.ovsenek - Skype
matej.ovsenek@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/matej.ovsenek

2017-02-14, 16:41:51
Reply #4

fabio81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys.

Not the same stacking in corona as in cinema 4d physical.

You need to use Coronas Layered material,

Apply the base material to the base slot (skull material in you example) and the overlaying material (graphics) to slot 1 of the Layered material. Use the mask on node 1 to show the overlaying material. Apply layer material to you object.

edit:

just read your post again, you need decals, wouldn't know how to do that without unwrapping... :D

yes, but if the second material is wanted to give a different mapping? it is not yet.

2017-02-14, 18:26:47
Reply #5

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I hope that the "better material stack support" announced for the first beta will just do what you need: Add a separate material with a separate mapping onto an object. I am missing this a lot and this is what keeps me from doing more stuff with Corona yet. Corona for C4D needs this native C4D way to achieve this urgently.

2017-02-15, 02:30:22
Reply #6

BatRM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry if i wasn't clear, my english is not so good
By split i mean that i copy paste the polygon on which i want to apply the decal on top of the polygon with the base material.
It is maybe not super clean but it has worked for me so far.

2017-02-15, 11:00:22
Reply #7

reublack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

thanks. i give it a try with material layers. and i will also try to duplicate the object part as well. @BatRm

@Matej: what do you mean with unwrapping?? is there a possibilty in corona to unwrapp the texture/material and merge a decal on it?

Best regards.
« Last Edit: 2017-02-15, 12:50:45 by reublack »

2017-02-15, 20:10:25
Reply #8

reublack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, duplicating the element (polygon obj) doesn´t work. The main problem is, that i´m not able to arrange the decals in any way.
so this is just bad luck atm or is there another workaround? Don´t get it with the unwrapping ...

2017-02-16, 18:30:41
Reply #9

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Don´t get it with the unwrapping ...

Usually unwrapping refers to creating proper UVs for the object.

2017-02-16, 20:55:01
Reply #10

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not an official tutorial (so the video is unlisted, it was too complex to write it up so had to do it in video form), but a quick look at how you could use UV unwrapping and Bodypaint in C4D to position a label on an object. There are likely many other ways to achieve this too of course. Also, it doesn't cover the complexities of UV mapping for complex meshes, would need to search for C4D tutorials on that, but with good UV mapping should be able to use this approach. Hope it proves useful in this instance.

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-02-16, 23:14:24
Reply #11

reublack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hey,

thx tom. tried to follow your instructions. for any reason, it doesn´t work out for me. (guess because of the complicated mesh, i created out of zbrush).
But thx anyway. In upcoming versions, is there a plan to integrate the basic texture features like in c4d? simply stack the materials an mapping options?

Best

2017-02-17, 09:33:06
Reply #12

fabio81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hey,

thx tom. tried to follow your instructions. for any reason, it doesn´t work out for me. (guess because of the complicated mesh, i created out of zbrush).
But thx anyway. In upcoming versions, is there a plan to integrate the basic texture features like in c4d? simply stack the materials an mapping options?

Best

+++

2017-02-17, 20:17:10
Reply #13

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
On plans for the improved stacking materials mentioned in the roadmap, that would be one for the devs to answer :)

Not 100% sure what effect you are trying to achieve, a render or screengrab may help. If you want to avoid the complexities of UV mapping, you could clone your object, select just the polys you want the material on, and delete the rest; then apply a material with Opacity to that new object (with your label / decal), and use any desired mapping in the Material tag for that object. In my tests, I didn't even need to move the polys so that they didn't overlap, but your mileage may vary.

I used a Flat projection in the material tag, and scaled and rotated that to align things (no tiling on the label material), though could use a Frontal projection too, or any other suitable form. This approach doesn't use the full UV unwrapping (though you could still do that, separating out the polys for the area that needs the label / decal would make it easier to get a good UV mapping for it.)

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-02-17, 23:13:15
Reply #14

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the advantage of stacking materials comes with the ability to mix regardless of mapping (every material/tag can use different projection, UV)
easy to set, deliver & conquer
;)