Author Topic: Disable DOF calculations for objects backplates/geometry with ShadowCatcherMtl  (Read 9288 times)

2015-05-21, 18:23:52

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am rendering content over photographs screen mapped to geometry with the ShadowCatcherMtl and they all have DOF which I'm trying to match in the rendering. Unfortunately, Corona's DOF will add defocus blurring on the shadow catcher geometry and it's too extreme. I can composite the rendered content over the original backplate in post, but in places with more extreme DOF it will not blend correctly as I still have doubled DOF in places where the alpha is not completely black or white...
I am trying to get a solution for this but it seems the only working way would be to exclude that screen mapped geometry from DOF calculations. Would something like this be possible at all?

2015-05-22, 12:23:05
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think this may be impossible as DoF in Corona is "physical". It's hard to imagine for me to have some objects affected by DoF, and some not.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-05-22, 12:40:45
Reply #2

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think this may be impossible as DoF in Corona is "physical". It's hard to imagine for me to have some objects affected by DoF, and some not.

Yes, since it's even impossible in any of the ray tracers I already had my doubts.

2015-05-22, 14:12:13
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
On the one side, not even Vray can do it, let alone mental ray. On the other side applying DoF to already blurred plate kinda breaks correct compositing, so option no to do that would be useful.

2015-05-22, 15:05:06
Reply #4

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
On the one side, not even Vray can do it, let alone mental ray. On the other side applying DoF to already blurred plate kinda breaks correct compositing, so option no to do that would be useful.

If possible, having that would be fantastic. What if ShadowCatcher would be 'transparent' and would multiply over the directly visible background override? I think that should be possible somehow.

2015-05-22, 16:44:34
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

If possible, having that would be fantastic. What if ShadowCatcher would be 'transparent' and would multiply over the directly visible background override? I think that should be possible somehow.

I thought something similar. Will ask Ondra about that.

2015-05-22, 17:05:33
Reply #6

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-05-22, 20:33:31
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Great, thanks!

Ondra told me it should be possible. Practical implementation would probably be a checkbox in ShadowCatcher material. So fingers are crossed.

2015-05-23, 12:58:39
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
long story short: probably possible for screen mapping
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-05-23, 13:12:43
Reply #9

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-07-06, 20:40:07
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
note to self: will be probably best if added to CoronaBitmap instead of shadowcatcher
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-09-25, 17:32:15
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
to self: btw ticket 477
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-12-17, 11:11:34
Reply #12

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Bumping the thread to ask if this is on the horizon. It would make working with photographed plates a lot easier.

2016-05-13, 18:27:38
Reply #13

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And another bump to see if it's possible for 1.5 - I am fighting with this problem in every other project since we often work with backplates and many of them have strong DOF. It would make life really easier in those cases.

2016-05-13, 20:06:29
Reply #14

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
well... maybe ;) I would like to focus more on smaller requests such as these in 1.5