Author Topic: Caustics playground!  (Read 44566 times)

2019-09-24, 11:47:40
Reply #120

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The newest 20.09 V5 daily features many caustics fixes and improvements compared to V4. You can check it out here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015
Further fixes/improvements possibly coming.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-09-24, 18:15:06
Reply #121

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The newest 20.09 V5 daily features many caustics fixes and improvements compared to V4. You can check it out here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015
Further fixes/improvements possibly coming.
ofc i use the latest daily builds as always, and there is another strange thing - sometimes i have black square gaps in big caustic spots, i suppose it is because i use a lot of ornatrix hairs in the scenes, but this is just my guess) i will send some test scenes later, when i finish my current projects

2019-11-07, 13:26:17
Reply #122

clemens_at

• Active Users
    • View Profile
corona 5 vs maxwell 5.
rendertime on both 53min.
consider me impressed!

2019-12-03, 16:11:49
Reply #123

shoebu23

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Forum,

I know it's not ready for animations - but any tips/trick on how to leverage caustics in animations? I always get massive flickering-- are there any parameters in the advanced caustics settings that help?

2019-12-03, 16:13:12
Reply #124

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I am not sure what you mean by not ready for animation - Recent Spaces would say otherwise :) https://corona-renderer.com/blog/recent-spaces-test-out-caustics-in-production-scenes/

It would help to see an example of the kind of flickering you mean.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-12-05, 14:14:40
Reply #125

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
For animations I would probably suggest throwing more passes at it. Even if it looks fine, let it converge more than a still image would.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-12-05, 14:39:25
Reply #126

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I would suggest rendering caustics as separate pass that's 100perc. denoised. Btw AI denoising (Optix) does pretty cool conversion of caustics because the artifacts it produces sort of just look like more detailed caustics :- ).

I would even go one step further and render it as separate simplified scene (ultra simplified, only to produce caustics in best way and nothing else), and render that with Optix denoising, that way you don't even need many passes at all.
This setup is more laborous but you will get super clean caustics at fraction of time.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-12-06, 22:13:37
Reply #127

shoebu23

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am not sure what you mean by not ready for animation - Recent Spaces would say otherwise :) https://corona-renderer.com/blog/recent-spaces-test-out-caustics-in-production-scenes/

It would help to see an example of the kind of flickering you mean.

- Thank you for sharing, gave me the confidence this does in fact work well.  After looking back at the scene, I made some adjustments (it's caustics coming from condensation on bottles)-- and got much better results.  Essentially, the very very small drops were messing everything up so I separated those out and turned off caustics in their material setting.

I would suggest rendering caustics as separate pass that's 100perc. denoised. Btw AI denoising (Optix) does pretty cool conversion of caustics because the artifacts it produces sort of just look like more detailed caustics :- ).

I would even go one step further and render it as separate simplified scene (ultra simplified, only to produce caustics in best way and nothing else), and render that with Optix denoising, that way you don't even need many passes at all.
This setup is more laborous but you will get super clean caustics at fraction of time.

Appreciate the tips here on denoising!  As you suggested, I have been rendering them out as a separate simplified scene for just the caustics and layering it in during post, but never used Optix- will give that a go.

Thanks!

2019-12-12, 11:41:25
Reply #128

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any news on the trello update or new dailies ? Have you guys decided on the new features yet ?

2019-12-12, 12:44:46
Reply #129

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Any news on the trello update or new dailies ? Have you guys decided on the new features yet ?
Hi,

Due to recent events the roadmap might take a little longer to be updated..

However a new daily is coming soon :)

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2020-02-06, 21:21:15
Reply #130

XRef

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Has anyone come across these black blocks in their caustics pass? (40 passes with default denoise)
« Last Edit: 2020-02-07, 02:21:40 by XRef »

2020-02-07, 01:07:47
Reply #131

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
never... weird! Does it show up as NaN when you right click on it in VFB?

Render looks neat though by the way.

2020-02-07, 09:50:55
Reply #132

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
There was few reports about black square artifacts in caustics on the forum. I believe the team is investigating and working on the fix.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-02-07, 10:54:13
Reply #133

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Has anyone come across these black blocks in their caustics pass? (40 passes with default denoise)
Hi,

Are you able to send over your scene so we can investigate? Instructions on how to do this are in my signiture.

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2020-02-07, 17:03:17
Reply #134

XRef

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Are you able to send over your scene so we can investigate? Instructions on how to do this are in my signiture.

Thanks,

Rowan

I am not allowed to send due to a NDA. Is there any thing you can suggest?