Author Topic: What about Houdini?  (Read 33374 times)

2014-02-06, 09:51:18

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
It would be cool to get hold of the crown on Houdini and very prestigious for Corona.
Of course here I have a personal interest :). Maybe someone there who can implement ;)?
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2014-02-06, 16:01:18
Reply #1

kahein

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm agree with you, it would be great.
if it does corona must be really robust for holding all the data houdini can produce especially for particle volumetric fluid etc etc
but it would be awesome
Asus Z10PE-D16 WS / Dual Xeon E5-2690 v4 @ 2.60GHz / RAM 64 Go - GTX 970
Win 10 / Max 2017 / Corona 1.4

2014-02-06, 18:19:44
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Houdini is software mainly used for particle, fluid, and volumetric simulation. Corona's weakest point are particles, fluids and volumetric simulations. So Houdini should be pretty much last software on the list.

2014-02-06, 21:50:51
Reply #3

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
Houdini is software mainly used for particle, fluid, and volumetric simulation. Corona's weakest point are particles, fluids and volumetric simulations. So Houdini should be pretty much last software on the list.
But procedural modeling/animation - city building, ect, L-system and other useful features....for VFX can use Mantra

2014-02-06, 22:50:59
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
While Houdini can sure do a lot of things procedurally, modeling and animation really aren't it's strong points. You will probably still be able to build large city a lot faster in 3ds Max than in Houdini.

2014-02-07, 09:59:34
Reply #5

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
Do you know Houdini or just it's your thoughts? )
I.e. Corona only for archviz direction?

2014-11-26, 17:13:03
Reply #6

jumamu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1

I would also love Houdini support, but I think it should be supported much later - because it is mostly used for visual effects and Mantra can already handle it (particles, volumetric, simulations etc.) because this really is the weakest point in Corona. But I hope Houdini support as soon as possible - I would love to see Modo and Lightwave support before Houdini (And yes, I use all these softwares + Cinema 4D is my main app at the moment...)

I know that it is much faster to build procedural city model in 3DS Max with plugins than in Houdini... But Houdini is more flexible and it is mostly used for visual effects where simulations interact directly with other simulation tools (User can mix: liquid, cloth, rigid bodies, softbodies, fire, smoke -> interaction)  but these need mostly volumetric rendering and this is still new thing for Corona.

2015-01-16, 19:34:22
Reply #7

kahein

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Houdini +1

The new release 14 is just awesome and more user friendly

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=247&Itemid=403

Someone already port octane to Houdini and it look like to work very well

I think the integration could be done so much faster than max
« Last Edit: 2015-01-16, 21:27:39 by kahein »
Asus Z10PE-D16 WS / Dual Xeon E5-2690 v4 @ 2.60GHz / RAM 64 Go - GTX 970
Win 10 / Max 2017 / Corona 1.4

2015-03-17, 14:27:45
Reply #8

evgen

• Users
    • View Profile
+1

Houdini plugin is absolutely awesome and necessary. Vray developers are doing vray for houdini, so corona developers should be fast - community is growing significally every year. and this is very perspective direction.

Rawalanche if you are working in houdini a few years you will not say so.

This project is done in houdini http://evgen3d.com/en#portfolio-6

2015-06-28, 18:05:06
Reply #9

lcenzoredl

• Users
    • View Profile
Houdini +1

Many studios use houdini in their pipelines and not only for fx. It is very comfortable software for lighting and rendering very complex scenes with team working on the same scene at the same time.

2015-06-29, 10:24:45
Reply #10

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the original houdini render engine is good enough to separetly render volumes particles etc and then compose in to beauty pases rendered by corona.
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2015-10-11, 14:06:23
Reply #11

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm afraid I have to disagree with that, you know I'm a hardcore Max and Maya user, but I'm learning Houdini at a great pace and in fact you can do A LOT of things faster in Houdini than in max, in fact I think the two only things you can't do faster is polygonal modeling (specially character modeling) and character animation (you can't do it faster, but you can do it better because of all proceduralism you can reach astonishing levels for rigging/skinning with things you can't even imagine in max, like skin contact with objects for example).

Right now max reveals itself like a great render platform, but if licensing continues the way it seems a lot of people is going to be forced to abandon it, and Houdini seems to be a great platform, you can model and animate in a lot of different platforms, from Blender to Modo or C4D, the key thing is how do you mix your character animation or your arch animation with al the bells and whistles that all clients are asking nowadays, and the major power of Houdini is exactly that, bells and whistles.

So, while I know Corona lacks some features related to vfx, that does not mean Houdini is not a valid platform to develop for because things are rapidly changing and Houdini is going to become a major player IMHO, in fact a possible pipeline could be Modo for modeling/animation + Houdini for the rest of things, this is an awesome powerful mixture.

Cheers.

2016-05-03, 06:51:41
Reply #12

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
SideFX is pleased to announce that Third Party Rendering is being added to Houdini Indie...
Coming at the end of May 2016.
source

& procedural architecture is a very lovely thing.

Will you now reconsider about supporting Houdini in foreseeable future?

2017-03-31, 13:12:54
Reply #13

bibi5000

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As a freelancer in munich I know that many companies are looking for a long term replacement for their Autodesk pipelines since the new licensing model is in place. Houdini is moving up on the list for replacement candidates quite fast. Three munich studios use it regularely now.
Houdini is slowly coming out of it's "nerd" corner and more and more freelancers adopt to Houdini.

2019-12-10, 16:36:07
Reply #14

tokyomegaplex

• Users
    • View Profile
i'd kill to see a plugin here, any word on this? i know a bunch of folks who would be interested.