Author Topic: Chaos Scatter Edge Trimming Playground!  (Read 23418 times)

2022-09-30, 14:38:39

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Corona 9 RC1 comes with a new Chaos Scatter Edge Trimming feature!

Where to find it?
It's a new ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming map you can find in the material editor under the Chaos Scatter category.

How to use it?
You need to plug your Edge Trimming map into the opacity slot of the material of the object that you are scattering (in case of multiple objects - you need to plug this map into the opacity slot of every material used). If any part of the instance (any mesh element) falls outside of the area specified by the scatter, this part will be invisible. This area area can be specified using:
- The distribute-on target object itself (in case of scattering on a plane object, any instance part outside of the plane object will be invisible)
- Include splines (any instance part outside of the include spline will be invisible)
- Exclude splines (any instance part inside the include spline will be invisible)
There is no need to enable any special options in the Chaos Scatter object itself.

Where is this useful?
- Grass lawns - in case of using large grass clumps, no grass blades will be growing outside of the defined area (defined by the distribute-on object or by include/exclude splines)
- Carpets - in case of using large clumps of strands, no strands will be placed outside of the carpet area
- Pebbles, rocks, bark chippings, or any other objects which you need to distribute within some specific boundary and make sure no instances stick outside of that boundary.

What are the limitations?
- This feature comes with a certain precision. In case of distributing a model consisting of a lot of elements (think 10 000 elements or more), it would be too slow to check the position of each one of them. This means that trimming works best with models consisting of as few elements as possible, but at the same time, this limitation should not be a problem in usual scattering scenarios (scattering grass, trees, rocks, etc).
- When the distribute-on object is smaller than the model object itself, some issues may appear where the instances would stick outside of the expected area. The solution in this case is to make the scattered instances smaller. This also should not be a problem in usual use cases, because in practice it would mean having a smaller grass lawn area than a single grass patch.
- Currently, you need to manually (or using a script) connect the Edge Trimming map to the opacity slots of each of the materials you are using for your scattered instances. This can be challenging, especially in case of scattering models with many different materials. We are planning to improve this workflow.

Edge Trimming on:

Edge Trimming off:

« Last Edit: 2022-09-30, 20:20:35 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-09-30, 20:00:06
Reply #1

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
"Added new ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming map (under Chaos Scatter category). Can be plugged into opacity slot of model object's material to perform trimming of its whole individual mesh elements (e.g. grass blades in grass patches) for each instance alongside Include/Exclude splines and target object's boundaries"

I cannot for the life of me, get this to work... I have the ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming map plugged in to the material for the scatter object (do I need to plug anything into that, for it to work?). It just.does.not.work. I have Scatter build Sept 29 (RC1) installed. I can see the texture node, obviously, but no additional settings in the Scatter modifier list/settings?
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-09-30, 20:21:04
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
"Added new ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming map (under Chaos Scatter category). Can be plugged into opacity slot of model object's material to perform trimming of its whole individual mesh elements (e.g. grass blades in grass patches) for each instance alongside Include/Exclude splines and target object's boundaries"

I cannot for the life of me, get this to work... I have the ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming map plugged in to the material for the scatter object (do I need to plug anything into that, for it to work?). It just.does.not.work. I have Scatter build Sept 29 (RC1) installed. I can see the texture node, obviously, but no additional settings in the Scatter modifier list/settings?

Maybe the attached image helps?
Also: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=37994.0

2022-09-30, 20:24:19
Reply #3

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Haven't tried it yet. But it sounds extremely cumbersome to make this work. Imagine several objects with a multimaterial each.
That's not userfreindly.

2022-09-30, 20:25:48
Reply #4

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Haven't tried it yet. But it sounds extremely cumbersome to make this work. Imagine several objects with a multimaterial each.
That's not userfreindly.

Agreed - it's a nightmare with ForestPackPro. I was really hoping Corona would be able to make an improvement on this, very disappointed
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-09-30, 21:58:33
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
That's not userfreindly.

Agreed - it's a nightmare with ForestPackPro. I was really hoping Corona would be able to make an improvement on this, very disappointed

From the playground thread:

Currently, you need to manually (or using a script) connect the Edge Trimming map to the opacity slots of each of the materials you are using for your scattered instances. This can be challenging, especially in case of scattering models with many different materials. We are planning to improve this workflow.

2022-09-30, 23:31:44
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think simple "trim edges" checkbox in the scatter object, would make more sense - Corona could add edge trimming texmap to the opacity slot internally at render time for user convenience. I did quick test with just 4 materials and already it was quite a chore to plug/unplug edge trimming map several times in a row. If you want to use the same asset in multiple scatters with and without edge trimming, you would need to duplicate their materials and that would quickly turn in to mess.

On the positive side, i was pretty pleased to find that the new feature does not slow down render very much, i was expecting worse.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-10-01, 03:24:57
Reply #7

gentlestev

• Users
    • View Profile
can't find this chaos scatter edge trimming map on the chaos category of the material editor. remember i followed d exact steps in installing and running the daily build. any help

2022-10-01, 09:42:00
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
can't find this chaos scatter edge trimming map on the chaos category of the material editor. remember i followed d exact steps in installing and running the daily build. any help

You need to install Corona 9 RC1 - https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=36810.msg203961#msg203961

And then you should see it in the material editor:

2022-10-01, 11:46:08
Reply #9

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,
 i cann't reproduce the edge trimming effect, when i apply the ChaissScatterEdgeTrimmg map to the opacity slot of material, the slice effect is shown on all instances.

2022-10-01, 12:05:57
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Can you show your setup and the result that you get? There shouldn't be any "slice effect" - edge trimming is removing whole mesh elements that falls outside of scattered area.

2022-10-01, 13:02:22
Reply #11

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Can you show your setup and the result that you get? There shouldn't be any "slice effect" - edge trimming is removing whole mesh elements that falls outside of scattered area.

Are you sure about this? It wouldn't be trimming then? It'd be more like removal.

But in any case... definitely 100% not working at all for me, tried for hours last night. I feel something is wrong with installation... I installed RC1 and scatter didn't update. I had to manually install scatter from unpacking the files and I'm sure I didn't do it right... or else it'd be working for me, right? (FYI in the info tab of scatter it says it is RC1 scatter from 29th Sept installed)
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-10-01, 14:17:09
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Are you sure about this? It wouldn't be trimming then? It'd be more like removal.

Can't speak for the others, but that's exactly how i want this feature to behave. If i'd want to slice geometry exactly and precisely along the edges, i could use Corona slice instead.

As for the installation, i had no issues at all - installed RC1 build and everything worked. Maybe there's some issue with multi-loader setup, like it was the case recently? OTOH, if you already tried unpack method and it still doesn't work, then i have no clue how to help, other then suggest to contact the support.

2022-10-01, 14:26:54
Reply #13

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Works with grass downloaded from cosmos, but not with geometry create by myself (cube).

2022-10-01, 14:34:29
Reply #14

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile

with checker applied

2022-10-01, 14:49:59
Reply #15

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think it's the case of you misunderstanding how this feature works. It removes any mesh element that are placed outside of scattered area*. It will not remove anything if your instances consist of single element, like box, or teapot in your examples.

* i'm not exactly sure how the scatter determines when element is considered to be outside of scattered area. It looks that decision is taken not by dimensions of element bounding box, but rather by the placement of its base, which IMHO is very nice feature!

2022-10-01, 14:51:33
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Bug report - edge trimming isn't working if plugged through Corona select texmap.

2022-10-01, 15:21:55
Reply #17

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Here's quick comparison between spline areas, edge trimming and slicer. I think some people expected edge trimming to work like slicer. Personally i find current behaviour much more natural and realistic, but it seems that there are some issues with edge detection precision, which i'm sure will be fixed by the devs in future builds.

2022-10-01, 15:23:42
Reply #18

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

Works with grass downloaded from cosmos, but not with geometry create by myself (cube).

A single box is a single element. Try with a clump of grass consisting of many elements.
It considers the pivot of the element, not its bounding box. So any element whose pivot is outside of the defined area will disappear (grass blade growing on a plane will be visible, grass blade growing outside of plane will disappear). We may consider the bounding box or or other methods of trimming in future versions too.

2022-10-01, 15:27:59
Reply #19

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It considers the pivot of the element, not its bounding box. So any element whose pivot is outside of the defined area will disappear (grass blade growing on a plane will be visible, grass blade growing outside of plane will disappear). We may consider the bounding box or or other methods of trimming in future versions too.

Please make it optional, in many cases pivot point detection makes more sense than bounding box detection.

2022-10-01, 16:48:57
Reply #20

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D

Ha, good find. Yes same for me! Works on a proxy I got from Chaos. Not on self-made geo.

@romullus; it's definitely working as a trimmer as I expected (see how ForestPack works)... which is exactly how it should work. Just not for all geometry at the moment.

Edit: Ah! I get it now! It only trims elements.... now I feel slightly foolish. Works like a charm I guess. Now just looking forward to it working with more ease
« Last Edit: 2022-10-01, 17:00:39 by aaouviz »
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-10-01, 16:56:50
Reply #21

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Ha, good find. Yes same for me! Works on a proxy I got from Chaos. Not on self-made geo.

@romullus; it's definitely working as a trimmer as I expected (see how ForestPack works)... which is exactly how it should work. Just not for all geometry at the moment.

Can you share an example where it is not working with some geometry or with your own geometry?

2022-10-01, 17:04:31
Reply #22

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D

Can you share an example where it is not working with some geometry or with your own geometry?

My bad! See my edit above, please. All good.

For others who are/were also confused, see my attached image - it trims elements, not clean slicing. The gridded box to the bottom is the instanced scatter object.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-10-01, 17:10:28
Reply #23

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It considers the pivot of the element, not its bounding box. So any element whose pivot is outside of the defined area will disappear

Isn't this the normal behavior of chaoscatter?
You don't need Chaos Scatter Edge Trimming for that.

2022-10-01, 18:05:43
Reply #24

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
It considers the pivot of the element, not its bounding box. So any element whose pivot is outside of the defined area will disappear

No, it is not.

I know it take a tiny bit of getting used to... to explain:

Scatter places OBJECTS on a surface.

An object can have multiple ELEMENTS inside of it.

Scatter with edge trimming on removes the ELEMENTS of each object outside of the desired bounds.

Again, check my screenshot of the cubes scattered. See how some cubes are removed?

Sorry to reduce it in such a simple manner, but hopefully this has helped.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-10-01, 18:08:24
Reply #25

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile

The problem I see with this method is that in many cases it won't give us the desired result. As long as the pivot point of a element is inside the scattering area, the tool won't delete that element.

I think that having an additional option to use some objects from the scene (like the sidewalk) as the "trimmers" would be a better solution than just relying on the pivot of the elements.
« Last Edit: 2022-10-01, 18:20:35 by Basshunter »

2022-10-01, 18:16:59
Reply #26

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile

No, it is not.

I know it take a tiny bit of getting used to... to explain:

Scatter places OBJECTS on a surface.

An object can have multiple ELEMENTS inside of it.

Scatter with edge trimming on removes the ELEMENTS of each object outside of the desired bounds.

Again, check my screenshot of the cubes scattered. See how some cubes are removed?

Sorry to reduce it in such a simple manner, but hopefully this has helped.

Now i undesrstand what Chaos Scatter Edge Trimming do.
thanks aaouviz

2022-10-02, 11:55:35
Reply #27

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The problem I see with this method is that in many cases it won't give us the desired result. As long as the pivot point of a element is inside the scattering area, the tool won't delete that element.

I think that having an additional option to use some objects from the scene (like the sidewalk) as the "trimmers" would be a better solution than just relying on the pivot of the elements.

Don't forget that element's pivot point is at its selection center, not at its base, so in your example those marked blades would be trimmed by the scatter. I'd suggest to actually try the feature and see if it really fails in most practical scenarios. In my opinion, which is based on short testing, current implementation works great and might be even superior over bounding box detection.

2022-10-03, 09:45:59
Reply #28

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Bug report - edge trimming isn't working if plugged through Corona select texmap.
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this :)

Rowan

(Internal ID=973671157)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-10-03, 11:31:28
Reply #29

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Some thoughts about trimming:

Would it not be possible to handle ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming internally? Looks like even this setup

OpacityMap -> ForestEdge -> ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming -> MaterialOpacitySlot

works. A ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming map as first map in the opacity slot even handles assets prepared for ForestPack it seems - cool. And it offers the option to reuse already prepared assets of any kind without changes to the materials.

User friendly, simple and extremely advanced compared to ForestPack would be a solution which adds ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming internally at rendertime, triggered by a "Use edge trimming" switch in the scatter object. Just like rayswitch is used internally if you disable cast shadow or visible to camera in any objects properties.

Speaking as a long term user of ForestPackPro: The concept of a ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming map leads to the same issues as with ForestPro and its EdgeMap where you need some fancy scripts to prepare assets material  for trimming (there is the "Material Optimizer" in the "Forest Tools" which can at least add the edge map to materials of ForestPackPro objects). Usually, stuff you want to scatter has multisub materials with a lot of slots everywhere.

Additionally, you cannot quickly compare trimming on/off with ChaosScatter and there is not even a script/tool currently to add/remove the ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming map automatically. The minimum we need is an on/off toggle in the ChaosScatterEdgeTimming map to be able to switch edge trimming functionality by a one-liner script without changing material nodes for the moment and a utility to add ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming to materials.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2022-10-03, 20:55:31
Reply #30

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Not sure if anyone else is experiencing such an issue:

If I try to scatter a CoronaProxy object the edge trimming fails unless I have the base proxy object display set to full mesh.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-10-03, 22:20:21
Reply #31

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yes, we want to have the trimming feature implemented internally with just a checkbox in the future. It requires some internal changes first though. When done, it will work the same also for ForestPack
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-10-03, 23:48:15
Reply #32

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
good news Ondra, thanks!

2022-10-04, 01:51:22
Reply #33

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, we want to have the trimming feature implemented internally with just a checkbox in the future. It requires some internal changes first though. When done, it will work the same also for ForestPack

That would be great!

2022-10-04, 07:58:19
Reply #34

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
yes, we want to have the trimming feature implemented internally with just a checkbox in the future.

Perfect, thanks!

Good Luck

2022-10-10, 15:27:55
Reply #35

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Who knew that playing with edge trimming is so addictive :]

2022-10-18, 03:06:50
Reply #36

Afterglow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"You need to plug your Edge Trimming map into the opacity slot of the material of the object that you are scattering"  What's the process if the material already has an opacity map?

2022-10-18, 08:34:51
Reply #37

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
"You need to plug your Edge Trimming map into the opacity slot of the material of the object that you are scattering"  What's the process if the material already has an opacity map?

In that case you still plug the Edge Trimming map into the opacity slot of the material of the object that you are scattering but then you also plug the opacity map you are using into the Edge Trimming map itself. :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2022-10-18, 10:48:02
Reply #38

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We have a new shiny guide on edge trimming [here].

2022-10-25, 13:22:45
Reply #39

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
And here is a macroscript to quickly toggle Edge Trimming on/of in materials:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38229.msg205049#msg205049

The minimum we need is an on/off toggle in the ChaosScatterEdgeTimming map to be able to switch edge trimming functionality by a one-liner script without changing material nodes for the moment and a utility to add ChaosScatterEdgeTrimming to materials.

This meets those mentioned requirements atm. Toggling is amazingly quite fast when IR is running.

Good Luck

2023-02-22, 13:41:54
Reply #40

Tamyl

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think simple "trim edges" checkbox in the scatter object, would make more sense - Corona could add edge trimming texmap to the opacity slot internally at render time for user convenience.

Exactly!!! It's a very bad idea to trim edges with such opacity maps. I have like ~10 objects inside my ChaosScatter and a few of them have MultiMaterials with 6-7 mat... You can imagine how painful it is to plug this map to every single material of these objects. Please, do it with checkbox inside the CoronaScatter!

2023-02-22, 14:31:52
Reply #41

leo3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Leo3D
in c4d you can do it in multi selection of shader, it takes 2s but indeed an option in the scatter would be better, with the choice in the list to select all or check what you want

2023-02-25, 14:59:55
Reply #42

mvpetropolis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, well, I have a small doubt about using chaos scatter edge trimming texmap, I realized that in some objects even inserting the map in apacy it doesn't work right causing the grass to exceed the determined limit, I'm loading two examples with different objects, one she worked perfectly and the other one didn't, do you know what could be happening?

2023-02-25, 20:20:11
Reply #43

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Edge trimming won't work on proxies unless their display mode is set to full mesh. On the other hand it makes very little sense to have such a small object as clump of grass converted to proxy. I suggest to convert it back to mesh and avoid any potential problems related to proxies.

2023-02-26, 02:14:51
Reply #44

mvpetropolis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Edge trimming won't work on proxies unless their display mode is set to full mesh. On the other hand it makes very little sense to have such a small object as clump of grass converted to proxy. I suggest to convert it back to mesh and avoid any potential problems related to proxies.

Thank you very much for your feedback, it's an optimization craze I end up converting everything into a proxy, but really both examples are of a proxy, the difference is that one worked and the other didn't, that's why I wanted to report the problem.

2023-02-26, 09:48:21
Reply #45

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Did you check if both proxy objects are actually set to the same display mode? If one of them is set to full mesh and the other is set to something else, that would explain the results that you are getting with edge trimming. If both are set to the same display mode, but the edge trimming is working with only one of them, then you can contact the support and provide both proxy files for inspection. https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

2023-02-26, 17:55:47
Reply #46

mvpetropolis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you check if both proxy objects are actually set to the same display mode? If one of them is set to full mesh and the other is set to something else, that would explain the results that you are getting with edge trimming. If both are set to the same display mode, but the edge trimming is working with only one of them, then you can contact the support and provide both proxy files for inspection. https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thank you very much for your attention, I am contacting support but I want to record this bug here in the post, I did new tests without a proxy and with different grass objects, one igrass and the other from dgrass the one from igrass did not work, the one from dgrass it worked perfectly both had the Chaos Scatter Edge Trimming texture on their respective materials...

2023-02-27, 12:27:38
Reply #47

mvpetropolis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, how are you? Well, I want to contribute to the community by explaining how I solved my problem, I had already tried everything, changed the materials, imported all the blocks again, the funny thing is that this igrass collection all the blocks had the same problem, it was Here I thought of giving the block a RESET XFORM, bingo the problem was solved, thanks for your attention...

2023-02-27, 12:41:47
Reply #48

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, how are you? Well, I want to contribute to the community by explaining how I solved my problem, I had already tried everything, changed the materials, imported all the blocks again, the funny thing is that this igrass collection all the blocks had the same problem, it was Here I thought of giving the block a RESET XFORM, bingo the problem was solved, thanks for your attention...

If you are using some collection, it will be a good idea to inform the author(s) about this XForm related issue. Maybe the models came with a modified XForm and need to be reset.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-02-27, 19:14:47
Reply #49

mvpetropolis

• Active Users
    • View Profile

If you are using some collection, it will be a good idea to inform the author(s) about this XForm related issue. Maybe the models came with a modified XForm and need to be reset.

Yes I already informed them

2023-06-22, 18:31:48
Reply #50

crmg88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello

I am using wild grass from Chaos Cosmos 3D library - in which the material already comes with EdgeTrimmingMap, but I can't make the grass trimmed to a straight line.
Can anyone help?

thank you!

2023-06-22, 18:44:25
Reply #51

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
hello

I am using wild grass from Chaos Cosmos 3D library - in which the material already comes with EdgeTrimmingMap, but I can't make the grass trimmed to a straight line.
Can anyone help?

thank you!

I guess you're using proxies? You'll have to set the proxy preview type to 'full mesh' for it to work.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2023-06-26, 15:42:45
Reply #52

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, when using proxies, they should be set to Full mesh display to work with EdgeTrimming map.

This is now reported (proxies to work with edge trimming map regardless of their display mode).
(Internal ID=1148580026)
« Last Edit: 2023-06-26, 16:13:38 by Aram Avetisyan »
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-06-26, 16:01:55
Reply #53

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
I've cheated this feature by using Corona Slicer material on instances that are being scattered.

2023-06-26, 16:24:51
Reply #54

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I've cheated this feature by using Corona Slicer material on instances that are being scattered.

That seems like a lot more work...
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2023-06-26, 20:30:44
Reply #55

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com

I just take the spline along the border, extrude it and shell it to create and cutting solid and set it to only cut the objects I want it to.

2023-06-26, 20:56:08
Reply #56

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D

I just take the spline along the border, extrude it and shell it to create and cutting solid and set it to only cut the objects I want it to.

I used to do this too. It works fine, until the base surface is changed for some reason.

Scatter edge trimming is MUCH easier now days :)
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2023-07-01, 02:57:37
Reply #57

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Didn't know that Scatter for Corona was different than Scatter for V-Ray. I recently started to use V-Ray GPU and noted that it already has "Edge Trimming" as a simple checkbox. Wasn't Scatter a Corona tool initially? How is it that V-Ray team managed to implement this option faster than Corona? This has been requested many times here.
« Last Edit: 2023-07-01, 21:41:20 by Basshunter »

2023-07-07, 14:59:59
Reply #58

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Didn't know that Scatter for Corona was different than Scatter for V-Ray. I recently started to use V-Ray GPU and noted that it already has "Edge Trimming" as a simple checkbox. Wasn't Scatter a Corona tool initially? How is it that V-Ray team managed to implement this option faster than Corona? This has been requested many times here.
Hi,

this is coming for Corona, too. However some work is needed on the renderer's side to implement this as a simple checkbox and the V-Ray team was a bit quicker than us ;)

I hope this clears things up.

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2023-12-22, 00:18:40
Reply #59

alecs8

• Users
    • View Profile
Hola, escribo como respuesta al tema de Chaos Scatter Edge Trimming, alguien reportaba que no le funcionaba y que no encontraba manera, llegue aquí porque me pasaba lo mismo, intente varias cosas pero nada funcionaba, hasta que logré que funcionara: lo hice de la siguiente manera: Selecciona los objetos a distribuir, te vas a Utilities, el icono es una llave mecánica, clic en Reset Xform y clic en Reset Selected, despues combiertes el objeto en un Editable Poly y listo, los bordes se van a cortar, estoy feliz llevaba muchísimo tiempo buscando como hacerlo funcionar, espero les ayude, abrazos feliz navidad!

2023-12-22, 09:30:08
Reply #60

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Please use English language on the forum. What you described looks like the "proxy cannot be trimmed unless using full mesh display mode" and this issue is fixed in Corona 11. I am guessing that you are using an older version.