Author Topic: Stochastic texturing to avoid texture tiling  (Read 37604 times)

2019-08-08, 11:30:34
Reply #15

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Logged as a feature request. Probably cannot be expected in V5 as it is going to be mainly a maintenance release.

(internal id=383770135)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-08-08, 16:13:28
Reply #16

Ash.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice it's been considered AND you guys have a feature request list. Maybe poke the Vray guys to make one as well, or at least if they have one, to be a bit more open about it :)

2019-08-08, 16:35:35
Reply #17

Giona

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • 3D - MTB - Photography
    • View Profile
    • Giona Andreani 3D Visualization

2019-08-15, 16:38:17
Reply #18

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Probably a little off with this but the random brick thing may sort of work like the using of Max's tiles to create a procedural brick texture. It looks like some of the bricks in that example are cut in half. Not sure if anyone knows this method (probably do) but you basically randomly place a brick texture which features 2 halves of a brick with mortar in the middle and then a full brick underneath.

Then using tiles to generate a random series of black and white alphas to show/hide the textures. So perhaps he has something similar to that? As its been said he may be using a grid to generate and then within that he is just randomly overlaying the texture.

Probably isn't how he is doing it..., but its a method anyone can use to create a totally procedural brick texture with just 6 different brick maps. Pretty basic, but it works fairly well. Plus since its Max tiles doing the distribution you can have really high res or low res maps in the slots so its pretty customizable.

2019-08-16, 21:52:05
Reply #19

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
Been asking this for a few years over at the vray forums. Hopefully the fact that Karba did it and you guys are asking for it will spark the flame to implement this both in Corona and Vray. Here's hoping :)

Youd hope but we have been asking for geopattern, dslr tonemapping and a PBR material for a long time too

My first request for that was somewhere around A4 or A5 stage of Corona, so they are not really keen on that

Also that would be a great feature, but isnt this already possible using OSL?
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2019-10-08, 12:26:23
Reply #20

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I installed Fstorm demo just for this feature alone. Didn't like Fstorm itself at all, but random tiling is just some magic, really! Definitely would love to have it in Corona. The only downside (a big one), that it doesn't work with displacement.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-10-10, 11:35:38
Reply #21

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I installed Fstorm demo just for this feature alone. Didn't like Fstorm itself at all, but random tiling is just some magic, really! Definitely would love to have it in Corona. The only downside (a big one), that it doesn't work with displacement.

Im yet to try it. Could you bake the randomised map down to file like with procedural maps or is it created at render time?

2019-10-10, 12:18:13
Reply #22

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hm, i could try that, but is there any point in doing that? The main benefit of tiling randomizer, is to cover unlimited area with reasonable resolution texture. By baking to texture, you'll just loose that.

2019-10-10, 12:55:50
Reply #23

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hm, i could try that, but is there any point in doing that? The main benefit of tiling randomizer, is to cover unlimited area with reasonable resolution texture. By baking to texture, you'll just loose that.

The point would be that you could generate a big enough randomised map to cover the area you need. then use that baked map in corona only using fstorm to generate the large scale seamless texture.

2019-10-10, 14:45:30
Reply #24

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You can do that in photoshop, with much better result. Also texture rendered by Fstorm wouldn't be seamless, so you'd have to render reaaally large textures, which is hardly practical. Anyways, i did the test and the answer is YES and... NO. You can render it...

1. from material editor, but it's ruined by strange artifacts
2. normally with texture assigned to a plane and with neutral lighting, but the demo has watermarks. Also it looks that there is some tonemapping applied, even if i explicitly turn it off (might be that i'm missing something there)
3. as a render element, but for some reason it has applied strange gamma (could be because it's demo, or because i'm missing something)

In any case, i don't see a point to dig into this further.

2019-10-12, 21:32:24
Reply #25

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 to have that in corona

but as for now max users starting from v2019 can use OSL Randomized bitmaps

« Last Edit: 2019-10-14, 12:32:32 by v.p.vlasenko »

2019-11-28, 13:14:51
Reply #26

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Been asking this for a few years over at the vray forums. Hopefully the fact that Karba did it and you guys are asking for it will spark the flame to implement this both in Corona and Vray. Here's hoping :)

Youd hope but we have been asking for geopattern, dslr tonemapping and a PBR material for a long time too

the fact that Andrey Kozlov did it, does not mean others will be able to. the guy is a genius. check out his tone mapping, the best in the world actually. I imagine him have an idea think about it for like 5 minutes, start coding, no revisions, then the feature is out, just like that. he's the Tesla of the render engines world.
Although a purist, my work is anything but.
https://www.behance.net/ImageInnate

2019-12-11, 05:33:19
Reply #27

Mariopex

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • StratoStorm
+1 This is the most useful feature! Beside the fact that you would save so much memory too by instancing the same image across a floor!
CD & TD @ StratoStorm

2019-12-19, 13:57:15
Reply #28

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Poliigon created blender plugin doing pretty much what we ask for here.
I believe it doesn't do such a good job with brick textures, but it supports displacement which is something that Fstorm actually doesn't, as far as I'm aware?
Anyways, I'm sure Corona developers will be able to introduce it in the newest version too! Fingers crossed!

2019-12-19, 15:27:41
Reply #29

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Poliigon created blender plugin doing pretty much what we ask for here.

Not exactly. It can be seen from the video, that poliigon's solution lacks one crucial thing - blending! It isn't seamless in any ay. We can already achieve something similar with Corona uvw randomizer :]