Author Topic: Shadowcatcher not working properly  (Read 2094 times)

2018-10-14, 21:08:21

Duron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I run into this issues very often. The shadowcatcher is producing wrong shadows at certain angles or light situations. Contact shadows look inverted and there is also ghosting visible in dark aeras. See front angle samples. On the rear wheel (left hand side) you can see through the car slightly.

This issue is common by many users.

Note: changing the "Shadow amount" makes no difference.

2018-10-14, 22:52:24
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-10-15, 10:44:09
Reply #2

Duron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I thought the other topic is specified for the ghosting and reflections issue in dome mode. This one is mainly related to strange looking contact shadows.

2018-10-15, 12:21:59
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maybe I'm wrong but the contact shadow artifacts are probably due to GI from the Matte material, which bounce back onto the matte plane etc., maybe even producing the 'look-through' effect since it's screen mapped. I guess if you use a RaySwitchMtl on the matte plane and use a different Material for GI it could probably solve all problems.

I think it always worked like this. It's not wrong either if you think about it, MatteMtl needs to look 100% like the source image which needs self illumination, which then again sends out GI and needs the RaySwitchMtl to override GI.

2018-10-15, 13:16:19
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@Duron - it looks almost like some kind of light leaking. Is it the same if you use path tracing + path tracing? (in the Performance tab)
Other than that, can you try changing the "shadow amount" value in your Shadowcatcher material to 10 and 0,1 and let me know if that helps in any way?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-10-15, 21:10:11
Reply #5

Duron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I tried several things now and i noticed that it depends on the ground brightness of the environment. So if there is a reflected patch of the sun then it procudes wrong shadows.
The brighter the enviroment on the ground or the brighter the geometry diffuse colour, the contact shadows get inverted.

Increasing the shadow amount sometimes compress this effect but shadows remain off. I couldn't notice any difference with both GI solver.

Rayswitch override for gi channel fixes this issue in many times. But for me this is a workaround. It would be good if the catcher is more trusty.

2018-10-16, 01:45:23
Reply #6

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
To fix 'light leaking', instead of using planes, use boxes, or geometry with some air-tight thickness.